Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just smashed my second weed whacker on the rocks today.
Is there a cord that doesn't break every two seconds?
I tried plastic blades, heavier line, green, orange type shit. I give up

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
I copied this off another forum. Don't do what this dumbass did. lmao!

RE: Using metal wire on brush cutter

PLEASE DON'T use metal wire. About 25 years ago we moved into a house that had been empty for several years and the yard was badly overgrown.I had a Homelight Super 2 chainsaw with a weedeater attachment on it. It was frustrating to keep replacing the line. Soooo, I got the brilliant idea to use "Heavy Duty" clothes line wire.
I was humming right along thinking this is working great. Then all of a sudden I was laying on the ground gulping for air.
To make a long story short. The wire had wrapped around a metal grade stake,the x-rays confirmed 2 broken ribs and the weedeater attachment for the chainsaw went into the trash.
That was one of the dumbest "smart" things I've done. Go on and laugh - I can now. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
last time I checked grass didnt grow on them rocks. try wetting the string first. soak it over night and it makes it easier to wind on the spool

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
Buy a new weedeater that uses pre-cut twisted line. I have a Craftsman. You just fish it through like an "S" so both ends stick out. I have a 1/3 acre and can do the whole yard on one piece of string! No more bump head fly apart or getting jammed. I threw my last weedeater across the yard and bounced off a tree.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
They sell a commercial line the big lawn care companies use, it's the plastic filament line with a SMALL steel wire in it, helps longevity esspecially when you have chain link fences and suck that chop the normal plastic stuff to bits.

I never knew anything about it until a buddy stopped over one day who owns a lawn care business and I had him using the commercial chems to kill weeds, and he gave a partial roll of this stuff and told me where he gets it in town. Funniest part...2 years later I still have'nt rewound the spool on the week whacker, and before I'd go through 1 carton of the plastic stuff per year...did'nt matter if it was the heaviest stuff on the market, the diamond shapped stuff...it was still plastic and broke off on rocks/chain link

·
Registered
41,258 Posts
Stick with the .090" string, the stuff in the .060" range is made to disappear. The shaped cross section stuff is stronger than the round too:D

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I'm using some .95 nylon star shaped stuff and I'm surprised how it holds up. It does real well but I have found that RPM plays a big part. If I constantly run it at full throttle the line doesn't last long but if I work the throttle te use the minimum RPM necessary it lasts really long.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
John Deere ProCut... it's solid and square so it doesn;t jam up. Steve our first race is next week... you better concentrate on your junk... not a weed wacker!! (ps. I get my new Stihl ww tomorrow.. LOL)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I did a Babe Ruth imitation with one a few weeks ago to.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the info, i am going out now to sears get the profile stuff and a new machine. Maybe try some ernie ball string.

See you next week Brent, for once my pile is ready ahead of schedule locked and loaded.

·
Registered
462 Posts
.095 diamond cut stuff found at home depot. I was ready to burn my weed wacker too, till I tried this stuff. It's the only stuff I'll buy now. I got a big spool of it for about $12

1 - 20 of 57 Posts