Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shift-noid won't make the 1-2 shift (PG). Tries to extend but can't push the shifter (Hurst Quarter Stick). Seems to move easy enough by hand. Any suggestions one figuring if the shifter is too hard to move or if the shiftnoid is just weak? I ran a jumper from 12-v source directly - it tries. The jumper gets hot, it's pulling a lot of current. I gan hold the plunger back pretty easy with just a finger and thumb as well.

·
from across the pond...
6,953 Posts
My shift-noid won't make the 1-2 shift (PG). Tries to extend but can't push the shifter (Hurst Quarter Stick). Seems to move easy enough by hand. Any suggestions one figuring if the shifter is too hard to move or if the shiftnoid is just weak? I ran a jumper from 12-v source directly - it tries. The jumper gets hot, it's pulling a lot of current. I gan hold the plunger back pretty easy with just a finger and thumb as well.
you need a relay. 100 amp one will work good.Thick wires from the ign feed to relay and relay to solenoid... earth and ign switched can be smaller.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already switched through a relay, but only a 30 amp. Worked great for years. I'll try another spare 30 amp relay I have, if that restore operation, I'll buy a heavier on. 100amps is a really big relay, I can't imagine a need for one that big.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Also make sure all your wiring is up to the task, when I used an electric everything had to be 10ga or larger right to the battery. If its not it may have worked a while but the cable and shifter may be getting a little tighter and it just doesnt have the oomph to push it with the wiring you have. Run a 8 or10ga wire direct to the battery and see if it pushes it without an issue. If it does then go over your wiring/relay/connections. If it doesnt then either something is binding in the shifter/cable or the solenoid went bad, those solenoids are pretty tough but nothing lasts forever..

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Wait. Don't you mean the solenoid won't smack the shifter hard enough to shift gears?

The solenoid holds the shifter BACK. Cutting the 12V power just turns the electro magnet off, and lets the spring mechanism smack the shifter.

If so, either your spring is ruined and too weak, or you're trying to smack the shifter too low down and need to aim the solenoid ram higher up on the stick.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wait. Don't you mean the solenoid won't smack the shifter hard enough to shift gears?

The solenoid holds the shifter BACK. Cutting the 12V power just turns the electro magnet off, and lets the spring mechanism smack the shifter.

If so, either your spring is ruined and too weak, or you're trying to smack the shifter too low down and need to aim the solenoid ram higher up on the stick.
Some use the spring and the solenoid holds it back and some use the energized solenoid the extend and push (or pull) the shifter.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Some use the spring and the solenoid holds it back and some use the energized solenoid the extend and push (or pull) the shifter.
So what's the OP have? I thought he was desrcibing the version where the solenoid holds it back and the spring smacks it?

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts
The shif-noid uses 12V to activate and doesn't have the spring release deal. They can be touchy , check all your linkage and lube the cable or replace it.
I have even had to decrease spring tension to the detent inside the trans to make them work.

Hutch

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one activates (extends) with 12-v applied, normally retracted with spring for positive return. I've ran a jumper from 12-volt terminal block directly to the lug on the solenoid, it extends with 12-V applied but can't move the shifter. It's on the Shiftnoid bracket, should be striking high enough. Looks like it really doing something until you hold the plunger and apply voltage but it's pretty easy to hold back. The aligator clip I'm using to test with gets hot so i know there is plenty of current draw. I'll try removing the cable at the tranny and see if it shifts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts