Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on guys .Give us some hints on ways to make horsepower that the average guy doesnt know.I know a lot of smart people hang out here.Give us some things to think about.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yep! The more $$$ you got, the more hp you can get!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Spend ridiculous amounts of money on very large engines. When those don't work, spend even more money on even bigger ones.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The best things an average guy can do to gain horsepower:

1 - Buy a bunch of measurement tools.
Countless numbers of times I've checked engines for compression ratio that were supposed to be one thing but were actually another. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS UNTIL YOU MEASURE IT.

2 - Read and re-read anything you can get your hands on that tells you HOW AN ENGINE WORKS. It's surprising how many people are out there in various capacities who actually don't really know the basic technologies behind what makes an engine run

3 - Stop reading publications that are sponsored by folks who have something to sell.

4 - Take your finished engine to the dyno. Same principles apply here with anything that can be measured - DO IT.

5 - Close the hood & weld it shut, then look at your trans, electrical system, plumbing, suspension, etc. etc. etc. HUGE GAINS TO BE HAD.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would say the "average guy" doesnt spend enough time figuring out the induction, especially the heads, for his engine... see it all the time, wrong csa. people get cought up in flow #s and not whats important in the heads and leave 50-100hp on the table.

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
3 - Stop reading publications that are sponsored by folks who have something to sell.
This goes for internet forums as well. ;)

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Guys will spend 25,000.00 on HP and not 600.00 on shocks most guys leave more ET on the table in the chassis set up than the engine will gain them, they always blame the motor.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I would say the "average guy" doesnt spend enough time figuring out the induction, especially the heads, for his engine... see it all the time, wrong csa. people get cought up in flow #s and not whats important in the heads and leave 50-100hp on the table.
X2!!!

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Guys will spend 25,000.00 on HP and not 600.00 on shocks most guys leave more ET on the table in the chassis set up than the engine will gain them, they always blame the motor.
BINGO!! I'm amazed how much gears, converter, suspension etc, have made a difference even with a lame slow car like mine. Full motor potential will never come out until the WHOLE car is sorted out.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts

+the guys who think they need 33x16 tires out back on a 10 second car. How much horsepower does one leave on the table when pushing tires that are WAAAY too big? Less is more!!

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
Write a resme. Send it to every performance shop and racing team in the country. Get hired to sweep floors. Keep your ears open and show up. Go to races. Hang out in garag and pits. Work your way up to winning teams. Sweep their floors. Wash their parts. Ask questions. Be annoying.
Show up.
Participate. Work on your own stuff and don't be afraid to fail or screw up. Try new things. Listen to winners, hang around winners, work with winners.
Show up.
Put in your time. Go to school and learn some things about engines and physics. Don't let people smash your dreams or tell you you can't...'cause you can. Buy books...every book has at least one thing to learn within it's pages which makes it worth buying.
Show up.
If it's what you want to do, live it, breathe it, eat it...just do it.
And show up.

This is what we did before the internet.;)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts