Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had race car motor rebuilt. Apparently they did not boil the block at the machine shop and my oil pickup screen keeps getting clogged with gunk. There are no spun bearings!
When I blow out the pickup tube I get 90psi at cold idle. Taking it back to the builder is not an option. Do I:
1. Pull the motor and take it apart
2. Try running diesel through the motor first
3. Try running 0w-20 through it
4. Other options to clean it out:smt093:smt093:smt093

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
To me it would be well worth the effort to take the engine out and tear it down and do it right, instead of trying some other measure and hoping you did not hurt it.

Not to mention if they did that you might find some other problem like loose rod bolts etc. that could get expensive quick.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
I don't see a reasonable alternative to this.
At least all you'll need is gaskets and a ball hone, provided nothing is hurt from the crud. What does the gunk look like?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anybody else thinking, that if the oil pump pickup is clogged, the engine is junk?
Only time I have seen that, the engine had already scattered. Something is rotten!

·
Registered
18,870 Posts
Pull it and take it apart to clean it properly and inspect. There could be other issues causing the " gunk" in the screen.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
It could be from the over use of a moly based assembly lube. Many think the stuff is the holy grail, and more is better! Until something like this happens! Lol

·
Registered
16,647 Posts
It's hard to believe something's not going on that's wrong. Once the engine is started and heats up everything used during assembly should have harmlessly mixed with the oil and after draining the break-in oil it should be done.

What does the inside of the oil filter look like?

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's hard to believe something's not going on that's wrong. Once the engine is started and heats up everything used during assembly should have harmlessly mixed with the oil and after draining the break-in oil it should be done.

What does the inside of the oil filter look like?
Good Question..... but it may be somewhat clean because it wasn't gotten up that far into the oiling system. Your oil pump may be the next victim to become clogged & scarred.....

Probably not the answer you were hoping for, RockinRobin, but if your oil pickup screen is needing to be blown out (!) you need to tear the engine back down and clean everything. If crap is plugging up your pickup tube, then, if it makes it through the oil pump, the next thing to get plugged up will be an oil gallery passage and then some bearing will get hot and unhappy! Too much time & $$ at stake.... just my take on it from this vantage point...

StickBBF

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Had race car motor rebuilt. Apparently they did not boil the block at the machine shop and my oil pickup screen keeps getting clogged with gunk. There are no spun bearings!
When I blow out the pickup tube I get 90psi at cold idle. Taking it back to the builder is not an option. Do I:
2. Try running diesel through the motor first
3. Try running 0w-20 through it
4. Other options to clean it out:smt093:smt093:smt093
I have to say, I have never seen a "Race car engine" have gunk in it... The only engines I have ever seen that had gunk in it were street engines that had well over 100,000 miles on them. So to think the issue is gunk if it is a race engine seems kinda odd to me. Are you positive you don't have some other issue?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If "white grease" lubricant was used as assembly lube, this could be the cause of gunk in the engine. There is no substitute for good quality engine assembly lube, along with small amounts of Moly lube on flat tappets/cam lobes, pushrod ends, rocker arm tips, etc.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
If "white grease" lubricant was used as assembly lube, this could be the cause of gunk in the engine. There is no substitute for good quality engine assembly lube, along with small amounts of Moly lube on flat tappets/cam lobes, pushrod ends, rocker arm tips, etc.
I agree and CMD Pressure Lube #3 also doesn't mix with engine oil and will look like gunk in the oil pan. Key word like Bill said, small amounts...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Quick question on moly.

I disassembled my engine to mill and port heads and reseal pan.
Do I need to moly the lifters since I removed them, in order of course, flat tappet.
I know to prelude oil but wondering where to moly.
Sorry for interruption.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Twice in my Lifetime I’ve had buddies who have gotten bitten rags in the Lifter galley.

Once was like 30 years ago and it was red rags that wiped out the cam & lifters plus oil pump and bearings , his builder covered it , but we got miles of laughs from it.

The second time my buddy did it to himself with paper shop towels , it didn’t harm anything other than plugged drysump scavenge screens and his Pride !

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Pressure is like voltage.
High pressure means low flow, amperage.
So there is resistriction, resistance.
Something I think needs to be checked in oiling system or clearances in block/bearings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts