Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
I hear that! Nice take!

Fowling takes a lot of work and it ain't cheap either. But it's always fun!

·
Registered
214 Posts
heres a cpl from a few years ago

What sort of bag limits do you guys have?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I can remember my first hunt like it was yesterday. It was 1954 in the Flats of the Platte river. A cold blustery day I'm out with my Uncle John, who has hunted this area since 1915. John was the local law around there and when he shot it always seemed something fell out of the air. I had the whole week of thanksgiving with him. On our first day we went to the trap range for a little gun safety. I was just 12 but big for my age. I had my dad's Fox side by side and John had a Winchester model 12 with a vent rib. That model 12 was the neatest gun I ever seen, and John said he educated it so it knew where to shoot. It certainly did know where to shoot. He cranked off a 98 and a smile on his face and I got a 60 and a sore shoulder.

That afternoon we took his 49 ford out to the river and waited for the afternoon flight. You could hear the geese but not really see them. John said hear that? That's resting talk. After a while there was a few more honks and then turned to a fever pitch. John says not that is fly talk, get in the car. He was right they came up off the river and blocked out the sun. Looked like millions of them. John said they are going out for dinner and we are going to see what restaurant they are eating at. We speed away John with his head out the window drooling with the sight of so many Canadians. It was 60 MPH down the dirt roads till they landed about 7 miles from the river. Now I figured we would sneak up on them a n pop a couple, but John says remember where they are. If they aren't bothered and the field still has corn they will be back in the morning. We checked the corn supply with flashlights after they left and talked to the farmer about hunting in the morning.

The next morning we was up well before the sun ever thought about coming up. Packed back seat full of decoys and a couple canvas sleeping bags and minnow sane. Aunt Lizzy packed us some sausage bisket sammies and some hot chocolate. Drive to the farm and it starts snowing. The wind is coming out of the north and blowing pretty hard. We parked the car in the barnyard and trecked the decoys guns and everything out to the field and set them up. Several trips. John was very careful where each decoy went. He said the decoys will determine how they come in and where they try to land. We put some corn leafs down for a bed. topped with sleeping bags and minnow sanes with corn leaves in them to cover us. By now the sky is getting just a little gray in the east and the temperature seems to be dropping like a rock. The snow is still in the blowing flurry state. We lay there sipping some choclate and eating breakfast of biskets and sausage, talking about things John and my dad did in their younger days. The **** dogs and **** hunts the tons of cat fish caught, by the way the fish got bigger every year. The sun comes up and the time seems to drag with out a sign of geese. I think there was even a nap it there. Being a little young, my patience is wearing out, but John says have faith, the colder it is the later they come out. We see a few green heads drop in but John says that's not why we are here. If you shoot one, that will be the time these giant Canada's will be coming. A little after 9am I hear a goose in the distance. It didn't sound anything like the fly talk the evening before, but John says get ready cover up, gun on your lap on top of the cover and don't crank your neck looking and he begins honking on his goose call. In between honks he says shoot em in the head son. Their honking gets louder and louder it was getting so loud it almost scared you. They was in front of me now I could see them with feet down and wings spread gracefully floating to a spot John had picked out for them. Some are landing now, one in between John and me and still more coming in. John whispers. that's the hunt now shoot a few if your hungry. We did that two more times that morning and limited out. the geese ran from 13 lbs to a 21 that had a six foot wing span. We got 10 that day, I even shot my share with that old double barrel. I was hooked for life and the thing I remember most was John whispering that's the hunt, now shoot some if your hungry.

As we picked and cleaned geese that evening, I hear John next to me muttering, "I told you to shoot them in the head". Yep I was hooked. And more than that, I'm glad John taught me to do it right.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I am a devoted duck hunter myself and have been for 14years now.
Here is a picture from opening weekend from last year from one blind in Hatchie.

This one was when I took my oldest nephew with me on his first hunt, it was a slow day and he had some shots but he could not seal the deal until this one came by. I had more fun the usual working the ducks in just to see the excitement on his face when a group would be going one way then bank hard to check out the calling and spread. This was also in Hatchie Bottom in my timber hole.

I am excited to see what my new field lease that I took on in a new area will bring me this year it is in the middle of some pretty good spots but you know how that goes. I was hunting one decent field but my buddy who owns it leased some new people in who are bad news so I just cut my losses and went on. Its sad but now he has a boat missing and some torn up blinds, I am just glad I got all of my stuff out before it got bad.

·
Registered
883 Posts
We have a wood duck/teal weekend coming up here in a lil over a month. Its always fun to see if you kill more ducks then cotton mouths ! But I am still fired up for the 60 days of talkn fowl and seen who is the better blind cook.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I am a die hard waterfowler, live it 365 even tho the season is only 60 days. I have also been to Saskatchawan several times.

·
Wrong Hole Racing
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a die hard waterfowler, live it 365 even tho the season is only 60 days. I have also been to Saskatchawan several times.
You're fortunate enough to live in a place where the hunting is probably good for a majority of the season. We are so far down and off the flyway that it gets tough. But it make the good hunts that much better!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Anyone try one of them mud buddys?

I gave my blind boat to the young guys a few years ago. It's an 18 foot 4 holer with a 235 evenrude on it. carries around 600 decoys.
This is a plate aluminum boat that will go threw about an inch of ice. It has all the amenities, 150,000 BTU of heat, 2 burner cook stove and dog drier. This year with the floods, it damaged some of the levee system and water is a bit shallow. My son and nephew are thinking about a mud buddy motor. Has anyone tried one? There are plenty of pot holes of good size but no way to get there threw millet and water lilies to get to them..

·
Wrong Hole Racing
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone try one of them mud buddys?

quote]

They are great. On Lake Guntersville we can slice through the hydrilla like it's not even there. If you can swing it, get the Hyper Drive. Much better in my opinion. Being able to operater it while sitting is a little safer than stadning with the conventional mud motor...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
You're fortunate enough to live in a place where the hunting is probably good for a majority of the season. We are so far down and off the flyway that it gets tough. But it make the good hunts that much better!
Our duck season is typically Halloween through Christmas. Goose runs Halloween through January.

Our ducks season stays pretty steady but usually gets hot in November. Downfall is it typically freezes up too so you gotta hit it right. I have been fortunate enough to be in a club for the last 5 years and got off the river rat race. Last year we killed about 750 ducks and there are 11 members.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Our season in ontario is mid sept. till end of jan.
lots of woodys till about nov.
mallards mostly
and of coarse canadian geese

??? whats the farthest away from you a leg banned bird has come when you call the hot line? I shot a goose that was banned in boston mass. 5 years prior
to me shooting him in ontario.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I have 15 goose bands, 1 duck band.

the goose bands are all from Illinois the duck is from North Dakota

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
Down here in South Florida we get mostly ringnecks, blue wing teal and Pintail. Then we have a Florida Mallard. I haven't been duck hunting in 5 years. Sold the airboat and went drag racing more. We have a Cabin out in the Everglade that we still go to but have to get a ride with my cousin's. I'm in the market to buy a new airboat when the time and money are right.

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
Here is what it looks like here in the florida everglades

Here my dad caught me dozing off.

Here are some wood ducks that i seen in a drainage at the end of my parent house.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
Cool I'm going to sign up now and check it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts