Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In have an old set of stewart warner gauges out in the garage.They where my dads and are probably from the late 70's.

The water temp gauge is electric.I was looking in jegs and it looks like you can buy a temp sending unit for autometer gauges for cheap.

Will one of these senders work?Sounds like a dumb question but I'm not sure.I think they would be neat to use again.Today I hooked them up to a battery and the lights came on.Probably haven't been on in 30+ years!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I doubt that the Autometer sender will work.

This from the S-W website:
Water Temp System:
This is the most difficult system to match. Most temp gauges are designed to work with one particular sender. Each sender has an electrical element with its' own characteristics. It is very difficult to find another manufacturer whose gauge dial angles will match the senders resistance/temperature curve.

When trying to match temp gauges and senders of different manufacturers, the most critical point on the gauge is the thermostat temperance. If this combination produces a reading that is with-in 5º F of the thermostat temperature, and it stabilizes there, then this combination can be used until you can purchase the gauge and sender combination that was designed to work together.
Here's their list of water temperature sending units from the S-W website:
http://www.stewartwarner.com/Catalog/sdrtemp.html

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info.Very helpful.I think it will be neat to get these old gauge's working...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts