Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water is really hard in my township, and when I moved in to this house there was a water softener hooked up. I didn't like the feel while getting a shower (slimy feeling) so I turned it off. 5 years later, I turned it back on last night after getting tired of seeing all of the calcium deposits building up on plumbing fixtures.

How the hell do I set this thing? :rolleyes: There are about 10 different dials, and nothing is labeled other than what that I guess is the current time, and another that looks like a slide and has 25/30/45/60/90/120 increments.

·
Titanium Member
11,398 Posts
Make n model?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Look online for the specific instructions for that make/model.

On a side note, if anyone in your family has high blood pressure they should be careful about drinking softened water. It's full of salt, the last thing that they need.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's an older mechanical timer, the dial on the right is probably the length of the regen cycle, the little dial with the pins selects the day(s) you want it to regen by pulling out or pushing in the pins, and the time clock just needs to be set to present time. There should be pins or something on the time wheel to start the regen - usually 2 or so in the a.m...........there's no flowmeter on that one so you will be using the WAFG method to determine how often it should regen itself............:cool: JB PS pour a tiny bit of bleach in the salt tank tube where the float is to help sanitize things.........

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt play with anything other than set the time of day, so hopefully when it was installed it was done so with a plan. I guess ill just leave it and see what happens. It says 2009 on it, do these things go bad just sitting? Or how do I know its working? The timer is working, that much I know.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
The water is really hard in my township, and when I moved in to this house there was a water softener hooked up. I didn't like the feel while getting a shower (slimy feeling) so I turned it off. 5 years later, I turned it back on last night after getting tired of seeing all of the calcium deposits building up on plumbing fixtures.

How the hell do I set this thing? :rolleyes: There are about 10 different dials, and nothing is labeled other than what that I guess is the current time, and another that looks like a slide and has 25/30/45/60/90/120 increments.
Laughing my ass off. A friend stayed over for the weekend, he was in the shower for a long time. He gets out and says he thinks something is up with his soap. He kept trying to rinse the soap off. Without that slimy feel your skin is tighter than a fucking snare drum. ;)

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
If you feel slimey it isn't working..............I've had well water for the last fifteen years and when I get the slime it is because the softener is out of salt........it will take days to fix itself after you add salt

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
When you were taking a shower and feeling slimey that means it was working properly........ The slime feeling goes away in a few weeks.
Get your water tested to where you are at as far as hardness.
There should be a setting on the side of the head that needs a screw driver to adjust....... Set it at the half way point. Then set up the timer for a run cycle and watch it (should take about 45-55 minutes)

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
If you feel slimey it isn't working..............I've had well water for the last fifteen years and when I get the slime it is because the softener is out of salt........it will take days to fix itself after you add salt
Not to piss on your parade BUT........ You are wrong! That slippery feeling indicates that the softner is working properly making your skin "squeaky clean" and all the soap has been rinsed off.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

On a side note, if anyone in your family has high blood pressure they should be careful about drinking softened water. It's full of salt, the last thing that they need.
If the house was plumbed for a softener correctly, the kitchen cold and the outside taps should be hard water....everything else should be soft.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
It is tapped off the main cold water at the entrance.
That is softening ALL the water in your home........ Most homes are done that way (because it is easy and cheap) but it is wrong because you are using soft water for washing cars, watering lawns, making ice, etc. Soft water is needed for washing with soap EG: laundry, shower, dish washer, sinks.
The main thing here is to get the softener working properly THEN re-plumb the house at a later date. The only thing wrong is that you are using more salt in the brine tank when the home is plumbed this way.
BTW: Washing a car with soft water is a good thing for a "spotless rinse" with less or no water spots.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Was the unit by-passed when you had it shut off? I had some tenants say they shut it off but all they did was unplug it. It had water running through it for 7 years with no salt or ability to clean itself. It was destroyed when they decided to have someone come look at the reason it wasn't working.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I turned the valves to completely bypass it.

Also I noticed on the time of day dial that regen is at 2am. Is there a time of day that is better?

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
2-3 AM is perfect unless you are Dracula. Always do a re-gen cycle when you will not be using water.... Like when you are sleeping.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
2-3 AM is perfect unless you are Dracula. Always do a re-gen cycle when you will not be using water.... Like when you are sleeping.

This is correct. My Neighbor installed a system that has a wire connected to his copper pipe, and does not use a water softener anymore. I was thinking about checking into this. Anybody know about this system?

Ray

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
This is correct. My Neighbor installed a system that has a wire connected to his copper pipe, and does not use a water softener anymore. I was thinking about checking into this. Anybody know about this system?

Ray
In theory it should work but in real life it does not work...... Stick with the proven system of a brine tank and resin.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts

Hey! My water does not taste like piss. :-damnit

:peeing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts