Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the pictures do the best job of showing/explaining my problem.

This is the second time this happened I thought the first was just a fluke or one time deal, clearly it wasn't. Edelbrock regular water pump. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Flimsy cheap material with too much system pressure.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm looking at the pics again, it also looks like the restrictor maybe too small in diameter for the water neck also. Or the water neck is too big in diameter for the restrictor.

I really would replace the water neck with something else and try it again. JMO.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I'm looking at the pics again, it also looks like the restrictor maybe too small in diameter for the water neck also. Or the water neck is too big in diameter for the restrictor.

I really would replace the water neck with something else and try it again. JMO.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
What's that restrictor made from? I can't believe that your water pump has enough head to push hard enough to distort the restrictor.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Just a few thoughts, but maybe it's a sudden pressure surge from water boiling in the heads?? Head gaskets leaking into the cooling system under power (lifting heads)?? Not that it'll fix your problem, but I've always used a gutted stock thermostat as a restrictor - they're steel, and might hold up better.

·
UP ON JACK STANDS
4,090 Posts
Did you ever calculate what rpm you are turning the water pump at? My Edlebrock SBF pump would leak out the bottom of the backing plate due to the high flow rate at 7,500 rpm. Had to put small button head screws into it to get it to stop. The Edelbrock pumps seem to flow pretty good, I the rpm just in case.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It looks to be an incorrect water neck without the register for the ring. Most setups we dont run any kind of a restrictor anymore.That is real old school thinking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts