Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a what appears to be a leaky water pump, just watched a youtube video to change it and it looks like a big job.
Any caution in doing this yourself or words of wisdom?

Local GM dealership wants $1460.00 to do the job (includes pump). Parts house quoted me for a pump ($115.99) and pump with housing ($324.99), should you replace the housing or is a typical leak in an o - ring that you would change with just doing the pump?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I thought my 01 dmax had a leaky pump make sure to check the 6 inch hose right above the pump
It makes it look like the pump is leaking but it prob isn't
My friend is a diesel mechanic and he told me to use a light and mirror and you can see it
Cost me 1.25 for some hose and about an hour
There's two metal tubes that get connected with rubber hose and they are semi mis aligned

Over time the hose cracks

Hope that helps and saves ya some money

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will take a look after work, thanks for the tip, and yes that would be awesome.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
I changed mine on the 02 GMC I had..It went bad at 205k...from people I talk to that seems to be the mileage # where most need changed.
You will need a big socket for the Dampner bolt,they want you to take out the starter and use a bolt in stop to hold the engine to break it loose...If you have a good breaker bar and jack handle,you can make it happen,I just put the handle against the shop floor and tapped the key/starter to break it loose,no problem.
My factory alternator also went out near the 200k mi mark,just a heads up,only other item was idler pulley,it ate itself at 280k.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am a GM tech and if i had any tips I would tell you. I will NOT tell you that you can use the breaker bar trick or that a good impact will tighten it back. That would not follow GM's procedures:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
P.S. Make sure you put the bar on the correct side or it will fly like a boomerang!! Thats if you do it that way, not trying to sway you at all!!LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
The best way to fix it;

1. Inspect area to be sure where leak is
2. disconnect battery terminals
3. jack up battery
4. put a SUPERDUTY under said battery
5. Reverse steps 3 & 2

Problem solved for good. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
part number 97216136 $297.00 is the pump (All-data), Labor is 5.9 hours. Will will need some gaskets and coolant.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Oh a Dealership installed pump will have a lifetime parts and labor warranty.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
The best way to fix it;

1. Inspect area to be sure where leak is
2. disconnect battery terminals
3. jack up battery
4. put a SUPERDUTY under said battery
5. Reverse steps 3 & 2

Problem solved for good. :)
Aparently you havent worked on a newer ford diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
take starter off long ratchet extension will hold motor do a search on duramax forum web site there is a step by step on how to change water pump it saved me!!

·
Nitrous Junky
10,820 Posts
We did mine at 160k. it had a cold weather leak. Damn gaskets and o-rings cost almost as much as the pump. the Duramax flywheel stop and socket were like $45 off any of the tool trucks.

When we got it apart it was actually just the gasket that was leaking. We put the new water pump and houding in anyway and saved the old. Be careful not to cut the o-ring in the back on the engine going back in. My guy did and he was less then happy to pull it all apart again. On a good note he round tripped it the second time in four hours ;)

Good luck!

BTW with the new flywheel kit you do not have to tough the starter ;)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Aparently you havent worked on a newer ford diesel
Posted via Mobile Device
I work on newer Ford diesels (errr...Internationals) and can agree that anything passed the turbocharged 7.3L PSDs are COMPLETE trash

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I changed mine on the 02 GMC I had..It went bad at 205k...from people I talk to that seems to be the mileage # where most need changed.
You will need a big socket for the Dampner bolt,they want you to take out the starter and use a bolt in stop to hold the engine to break it loose...If you have a good breaker bar and jack handle,you can make it happen,I just put the handle against the shop floor and tapped the key/starter to break it loose,no problem.
My factory alternator also went out near the 200k mi mark,just a heads up,only other item was idler pulley,it ate itself at 280k.
:smt103 That sounds like somebody could get hurt....namely me.
Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
848 Posts
they are a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS.

i think the cam drives the water pump or something like that if i remember correctly. I used a big 1" impact gun to get that balancer off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Before reversing steps 3 & 2. Install new headgaskets on SUPERDUTY.
I have heard that before. I know 9 people with Superduty pick ups, 2 have had head gaskets (Both 6.0's). 2 friends with Rams both with electrical issues and 1 friend with a Duramax with a bad water pump. They all have their problems. I have driven in all three and the Duramax was the most comfortable IMO.

·
I feared for my life!!!
14,663 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else think that getting 150K-200K miles out of a water pump is pretty damn good, and NOT indicative of a design flaw/cheap ass part?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts