Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just added one to my radiator on the tank with the cap,since there was a bung there. I'm getting a lot of press changes when driving, which I guess makes sense, with rpm differences and the thermostat cycling. Thinking about moving to the sensor to the intake. Anyone have any info/experience?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I would have never thought that an engine made 65 lbs of water pressure while turning those kind of RPMs
My radiator cap is only 16 lbs ?

Steve

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
It reads 65psi with the sensor in the BLOCK,not the radiator. Highest reading at the radiator was 19-20psi.

Yes boosted,datalog shows 18psi boost.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the block communicate with the radiator? I can’t see a 45psi difference unless the thermostat is doing weird stuff if you even have one

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the block communicate with the radiator? I can’t see a 45psi difference unless the thermostat is doing weird stuff if you even have one
If the water pump isn't turning and the system is under pressure, the pressure will be the same anywhere in the system. Start turning the water pump, and now there will pressure differences. Seems feasible to me that when the pump speed is high, the open thermostat would be a restriction to the amount of water the pump is trying to move though the block. Again,I agree,65 psi sounds crazy. Might try a mechanical gauge for comparison. But,I have a sensor for trans line pressure and a mechanical gauge in the truck,and they both read the same.

·
Registered
16,404 Posts
65 does sound high. I have a sensor in the rear of my intake and see up to 30 psi at elevated RPMs. The pressure drops along the water flow path from the pump outlet to the inlet. There are large pressure drops at the thermostat and thru the radiator. That's why a 15psi radiator cap doesn't lift.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
78,927 Posts
THAT SEEMS HIGH...EVEN AT DIFFERENT LOCATIONS...ALMOST MAKES YA THINK ITS LIFTING A HEAD

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
If the water pump isn't turning and the system is under pressure, the pressure will be the same anywhere in the system. Start turning the water pump, and now there will pressure differences. Seems feasible to me that when the pump speed is high, the open thermostat would be a restriction to the amount of water the pump is trying to move though the block. Again,I agree,65 psi sounds crazy. Might try a mechanical gauge for comparison. But,I have a sensor for trans line pressure and a mechanical gauge in the truck,and they both read the same.
That makes good sense. I wasn’t sure if you was using a T stat or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts