Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a supercharged 412ci sbc in my car that runs on 91 octane. To fight off detonation, I have been running a Snow Performance water/meth kit with two 375ml./min nozzles (front and back of a 4150 plate). The car also has a single kit of nitrous, and all of this has been working together just fine.

Over the last few months, I have been researching converting to E85 to get a little more power and save some money at the pump. As far as I can tell, the water methanol will be just fine with the E85 in day to day driving, but I am curious as to how it will react with the nitrous.

Do I need to be running straight alcohol through the fuel solenoid?
Do I need to have the water/meth cut out when the spray comes on?
etc...etc...This is confusing to me

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
you don't need either with E85,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll answer the questions in the order they were asked.

the first question answers itself
Boost is at 7psi
Ignition is a Mallory Hy-Fire 685
950cfm carb

Why do you need a nitrous kit with a blower?
How much boost are we talking about?
What ignition system are we talking about?
Are we talking EFI or carb(s)?

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
I currently have a supercharged 412ci sbc in my car that runs on 91 octane. To fight off detonation, I have been running a Snow Performance water/meth kit with two 375ml./min nozzles (front and back of a 4150 plate). The car also has a single kit of nitrous, and all of this has been working together just fine.

Over the last few months, I have been researching converting to E85 to get a little more power and save some money at the pump. As far as I can tell, the water methanol will be just fine with the E85 in day to day driving, but I am curious as to how it will react with the nitrous.

Do I need to be running straight alcohol through the fuel solenoid?
Do I need to have the water/meth cut out when the spray comes on?
etc...etc...This is confusing to me
You have the water-methanol injection, so you may as well use it. Mark is correct, you don't need it. But on the other hand, it is good insurance. During and after WW2 the military used several variations of “internal coolant” in recip engines. The two most common blends were 25% ethanol, 25% methanol and 50% water, and 50-50 water-methanol. It has been a while since I read about it, but I think the 25-25-50 was the 'internal coolant' used with nitrous on the Rolls-Merlin in the P51.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to bring up a dead thread, but the opinions im looking for are along the same lines as what I asked previously. I did a little reading on the topic and found that water/meth in fact is not a good idea for an E-85 engine due to the already cool temps and properties of the fuel. I did, however, find a bit of information stating that pure methanol injection can be used to boost power. Can anyone confirm or deny based on personal experience or knowledge?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts