Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys messed with water injection? I see these heads have provisions for it. I’ve never checked into it or really understood the benefits.

·
Registered
681 Posts
What kind of gains on na motor?
Nothing worth the effort and expense.Are you wanting to do it with pump gas?The place I really wanted to see gains is with bbc that had pretty steep compression and was trying to pull heavy trailer.It would detonate in hills etc.It did allow us to run couple extra degs timing than we could which was noticeable. But again nothing worth expense or effort.We tried some mix of different things also.Power adder deal is huge gains ,well worth it.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So add methanol with and water? Or just methanol. This engine 14:1 + drag motor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
On my 2.0L Turbo 2015 VW (daily driver) that has been pretty heavily modified, W/M injection (before TB) is worth a solid +20 HP across the graph. But this is 23#-25# of turbocharged boost and the tune is not using the w/m injection; it is just a bonus. Would probably pick up another 10+ HP if the tune accounted for the w/m.
I use 91 octane fuel. Even when I run 100 octane, the w/m helps HP.
I realize the question is about a 14:1 compression BBC but I would bet there would be an improvement. And in some parts of the country, E85 is limited availability (like here in Arizona).

·
Long Live The King
100,859 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I've flogged water/meth injection since the late 60's on a variety of combinations. Most of the sucess would come in boosted applications. Really flogged the application on my blown gas (42 psi) no intercooler motor. To successfully work you need high pressure (200 psi) and a properly designed mister spray nozzle to get the droplets reduced in size. For my application a 80-85% meth and the balance water. To get it right and see results is a long process.

·
Long Live The King
100,859 Posts
If it’s similar to Q-16 , oxygenated, and good to 17:1 and a good fuel for boost and nitrous, I don’t know if H2O would help it make more power ( I doubt it)

As far as methanol goes. I’ve run a nitrous/methanol system in the boat since about ‘92. When it’s hot as hell at the river, air temp over 105*, I can shut off the nitrous and just spray the methanol into the engine and it will pickup rpm. When it’s 110-115+ it will pickup 300 rpm.

in your application, and with the fuel you’re using, I can’t say it would do anything to the positive

1 - 17 of 17 Posts