Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran the car tonight,and found something puzzling to me.:confused:

1st run 11.29 @118.84 5lbs boost Weiand 174 spraying 550ml [2-nozzles 375/175] under carb.
2nd run 11.289 @118.89 No water. 34*timing both runs. Spraying washer fluid.

Very suprised it runs the same either way it ran exactly the same with or without.
What is this trying to tell me besides I wasted my money on a Snow Kit????:(
??

·
Registered
431 Posts
The idea behind the kit is so you can get more aggressive with your timing due to having more octane, if you leave the timing the same then there is no hp to gain. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea behind the kit is so you can get more aggressive with your timing due to having more octane, if you leave the timing the same then there is no hp to gain. Hope this helps.

I wrote the wrong amount ..am actually spraying 400ml....not 550ml.
using a #3-175ml,,,and a #4- 225ml.

True,I understand that is fact.
However I do not understand how it would run the same with NO tuning adjustments.
Just adding water with no jet or timing adjustments show slow it significantly,unless a minor amount.400ml is plenty for the 440cu.in. 5lbs boost according to Snow.
I am sure it is actually working,just cleaned and checked spray before going yesterday and the fluid drops in the reservoir after every run.

On a positive note: didn`t melt any pistons LOL;)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
pretty hard to melt a piston with 5# try 18, the water meth only works as others have stated with a more aggressive tune up, once I switched to c16 I gave up on the water meth as it did nothing for my car, I attribute this to the fact that the tune up is as aggressive as it can be with c 16 the water meth is not going to improve it.
when I ran pump fuel I was able to run more timing and this gave me more power.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty hard to melt a piston with 5# try 18, the water meth only works as others have stated with a more aggressive tune up, once I switched to c16 I gave up on the water meth as it did nothing for my car, I attribute this to the fact that the tune up is as aggressive as it can be with c 16 the water meth is not going to improve it.
when I ran pump fuel I was able to run more timing and this gave me more power.

Have melted my share.on 4th set.
Intake temps reach 250 on the highway. Blower is turning 14,600 @ 5,000 crank rpm.
Hence water injection

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Did I read that correctly? 34% od? As for the original post, I don’t think the snow kit was a waste of $, I do think that blower is not efficient enough for those cubes. Is this your 4th set of pistons with the snow kit?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
For what your getting out of the blower, the 250 intake temp tells you the blower is working beyond its ability to feed the motor efficiently. Your flogging a dead horse, dismount. You might try 100% methanol to get the intake temp down. The methanol will flash at that temp level so minimum percentage will actually reach the combustion chamber. I would keep enriching it until I saw a change one way or the other.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did I read that correctly? 34% od? As for the original post, I don’t think the snow kit was a waste of $, I do think that blower is not efficient enough for those cubes. Is this your 4th set of pistons with the snow kit?

Yes ratio 2.72.to 1
Yes melted 3 with Snow installed.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Less timing, more boost. I don’t think that baby blower can make anymore boost on those cubes though. You mentioned the snow kit and washer fluid had the same result, washer fluid has methanol. My dad ran a washer line to the intake on my 81 elco. Just had to remember to twist the lever when running it hard.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,thanks for the feedback.
Yes I can see it has its limits. Heat is the killer. To get any amount of boost the blower must spin hard which of course is heat.
So today I took Ron`s advice and took it for a hard ride to record readings back to back.
Using washer fluid spraying 400ml and 30* timing it drops from 180 to 160* on a 2nd gear only blast,maybe 3 seconds
Drained and flushed and refilled with 100% meth. With all meth I am seeing NO temp. drop at all,,,however it runs noticeably stronger.
AFR`s with w/meth 11.8
100% meth 11.4.
Plug are very clean,no color yet. #5 is the cyl that fails 1st every time so I put a new plug in every time I am tuning something.
I assume it can take less fuel,maybe 2* more timing.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Yes I can see it has its limits. Heat is the killer. To get any amount of boost the blower must spin hard which of course is heat.
So today I took Ron`s advice and took it for a hard ride to record readings back to back.
Using washer fluid spraying 400ml and 30* timing it drops from 180 to 160* on a 2nd gear only blast,maybe 3 seconds
Drained and flushed and refilled with 100% meth. With all meth I am seeing NO temp. drop at all,,,however it runs noticeably stronger.
AFR`s with w/meth 11.8
100% meth 11.4.
Plug are very clean,no color yet. #5 is the cyl that fails 1st every time so I put a new plug in every time I am tuning something.
. ......As I said in your personal note,....methanol boils at 148 degrees. You may have to increase volume. And do some experimenting.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Do you know any blower guys out by you? I think gtachief is out that way, maybe they have a larger blower you may try? I really think you’re maxed on that baby blower. Any gains I don’t think will be enough to notice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right, I need a bigger blower.
Heres the short version: grew tired of the bracket car" I want a street car". Bought the blower thinking I can run low 12`s with my stock engines I have laying around.
Went 12.03 on a junk core engine, Better build a "good" engine before it breaks. 11.56 1st run,well if can go 11.50`s without trying 10`s???
Ran an [email protected] and hurt the pistons. 10.99999 and I am gonna weld the hood shut ................

·
Registered
271 Posts
AFR`s with w/meth 11.8
100% meth 11.4.
Water will remove more heat than methanol at same volume at those temps.
Water will provide cooler cc temps.
Read plugs with and without to see impact/benefit of water/meth in cc.
Does car slow down if AFR adjusted down to 11.3ish.
Not sure why melting pistons if plugs show safe. Fuel octane unpredictable?
As mentioned, e85 (even down to e60) would be a huge benefit. i.e. 30% more fuel to help cool and 105 octane.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pistons have been torched by a couple things /mistakes/failures over the last 6 years. Fuel pump,stuck timing advance, poor w/m cooling, Greedy ego driven driver...
The big issue now is mixture distribution on top of the heat. When spraying with one nozzle it did nothing cooling wise or protection,even to it was more volume.
Came up with the theory to try 2 on a "T" to spread over more area under the car. It works. Temps now drop and plugs are more even looking.
Have not tried the same tune that yieled the 11.09 e.t. again. Am going to try it Friday night now that it does control temps.
30* was ok without w/m so thats the number I`m starting with with the 100% meth on top.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ran it Friday night. Weather was a little more humid,nothing extreme.
#1 [email protected] 118.17-1.63/60ft. 100% meth. injection 400ml. timing 30*
#2 11.17 @110.17-1.627/60ft. NO injection..... 30* timing.

Blower drive ratio 2.32 for the 11.28 @118 last Friday
2.72 ratio 2nd Friday [email protected] 118.
This was the 1st time it din`t go quicker with the faster blower ratio. Usually worth 2 tenths or so.
W/meth just isn`t showing any gains.

60-fts. are slow as well. I went to 2" headers versus 1-7/8". Changing them back for next weekend.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts