Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the engine for a quick preseason checkout. My concerns started when I pulled the drain plug, half a quart or so of water came out first. Pulled the pan and the bottom of the pan and the pickup were covered in the slimiest nastiest oil I have ever seen. Everything else is spotless. My question is this, does a race motor that was stored indoors (no heat, but never froze hard) on a concrete floor with open headers draw that much moisture and have this effect on the oil? Dont know where else it would have came from.:smt102

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,113 Posts
I DON'T SEE HOW IT COULD CONDENSATE A QUART OF WATER...THAT SOUNDS LIKE HEAD GASKET.....OR WATER HOSE :smt102

·
YB Managing Editor
50,684 Posts
Pulled the engine for a quick preseason checkout. My concerns started when I pulled the drain plug, half a quart or so of water came out first. Pulled the pan and the bottom of the pan and the pickup were covered in the slimiest nastiest oil I have ever seen. Everything else is spotless. My question is this, does a race motor that was stored indoors (no heat, but never froze hard) on a concrete floor with open headers draw that much moisture and have this effect on the oil? Dont know where else it would have came from.:smt102
Doesn't take much freezing to break shit. I put anti-freeze in mine even though it's in a heated garage. There's a chance the fucking furnace breaks when it's 10 below zero. :rolleyes:

Do a pressure test of the water system.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
That happened to me.I had a backfire at the line and it blew the intake gaskets last day at the track.Following spring I ran the car in the garage(didnt know it had blown the gaskets), went to pull the oil filter down and I got a bunch of water out of it.Condensation wont give you that much water.You better check those bearings cus I caught mine in time enough to only have to cut the crank and not buy a new one.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Unless you have run it I don't think the water in the oil is from a crack from freezing .You did say the oil looked nasty and that tells me it's probably been like that for a bit of time or a few runs anyways .I'd look @ the head gaskets or the intake gaskets . good luck .
X2, also, I put anti freeze in all my engines

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you using alcohol, it generates water as well. Take your valve cover off and see if you have water sitting in the lower corners. I get that alot as building heat is a challenge. I would not use antifreeze racing at all, believe its a rules issues as if anything lets loose it hits your tires and your in big trouble, fast, and its a bitch to clean up. If you want to add a lubricant, try a treatment like redline or royal purples.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I had my heads checked and everything was OK. Filled the short block with hot water and looked for anything obvious. All is well. I guess Im just gonna clean it up and put it back together.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a bowtie block that ended up having a crack in the cam tunnel from freezing. The only time it would leak though is after you warmed it up. Then it would dump a bunch of water in the oil pan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts