Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta do mine today, and I never done them before. I watched a YouTube video and it seems fairly easy.

I've also heard of them exploding. What has to be done wrong for this to happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Drain tank ,Turn off power, Unhook the wire from top and bottom elements and screw them out!
Screws new ones in, wire it up, let tank fill , put breaker back in

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I think element explodes when not in water and still powered.

I had one on a parts washer start sparking and smoking when someone ran it low on water and left it turned on.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Ok turn off water to tank first
Then power ,then drain
You have plenty of time to turn off power while it's draining and not hurt anything

It's so easy, even Justin P could do it

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,842 Posts
A faulty thermostat and/or your pressure valve would have to fail to make it explode.

Pressure value should be checked at least every 6 months. All that is need is to lift the valv slightly to see if water comes out. It usually takes a little more then 2x the amount of pressure the tank is rated for it to explode.

Visual entertainment....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A faulty thermostat and/or your pressure valve would have to fail to make it explode.

Pressure value should be checked at least every 6 months. All that is need is to lift the valv slightly to see if water comes out. It usually takes a little more then 2x the amount of pressure the tank is rated for it to explode.

Visual entertainment....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo
Thanks...I watched that video earlier after the video for how to replace them. That's why I ask.

·
40,842 Posts
Don't blame you one bit. Hell I get nervous just passing a semi truck. Once you've see one of those tires explode, you won't want to be anywhere near it.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,399 Posts
Don't blame you one bit. Hell I get nervous just passing a semi truck. Once you've see one of those tires explode, you won't want to be anywhere near it.

no shit . i was in a day cab one time with a load . 1 rear drive blew , no warning , it just went , holy fuck i thought i ran over the engine .....

·
40,842 Posts
no shit . i was in a day cab one time with a load . 1 rear drive blew , no warning , it just went , holy fuck i thought i ran over the engine .....
Not to get off the original posters topic but, over the years I've read accounts of people being killed and severally injuries from exploding semi tires. As you probably know, those tires are suppost to be mounting using a cage.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,003 Posts
I never drain them. Just let pressure off and create vacuum. One motion spin out old one and slap in new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
yep, if the element isnt in water when powered, its dead right away

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Not to get off the original posters topic but, over the years I've read accounts of people being killed and severally injuries from exploding semi tires. As you probably know, those tires are suppost to be mounting using a cage.
That was usually the old Dayton style wheels with the lockring that were put in the cage, so the ring don't take your head off

The bud wheels are not as bad

1 - 20 of 52 Posts