Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a water flow meter to test some intercooler pumps and hose sizing. I need it to read gallons per minute. I need it to read somewhere in the range of 3-55gpm. I need a meter that will accept at least a 1 1/4" hose, better yet a 1 1/2".

I’m probably only going to use the thing one, or maybe twice so I’m not looking to spend a fortune on it. I did a google search and found all sorts of meters, too many really. And everything I found is pretty pricey. Anyone ever work with something like this or have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking.;)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
861 Posts
You want one that is flow through or an impeller type? Electronic or just a dial?

An impeller type will most likely work better with the flow range you are looking for.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want one that is flow through or an impeller type? Electronic or just a dial?

An impeller type will most likely work better with the flow range you are looking for.
Doesn't really matter to me if it is a flow through or impeller design. What ever works.:D

Electronic or dial doesn't matter either. As long as I can get the data I'm good to go.

I'm not looking for fancy, just "works".

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a barrel, mark for gallons, fill and measure to check each pump?
Thought of that. But the way we are testing it really needs to be a closed loop. We're measuring flow with a couple different intercooler cores, dual pass and single pass, multiple line sizes and with a heat exchanger or ice chest. Multiple pumps too.

We're trying to nail down some theory before designing a few things and figuring out what pumps work best in what situation.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I came in here for the bewbs. I don't have anything good to add.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
my experience is you will need at minimum 2 flowmeters for that range.

if youre trying to measure 55GPM you want a meter capable of about 75GPM. A flowmeter for 75GPM is going to be inaccurate below approximately 20GPM.

Cheapest flow meter would be the tube flow through types....

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
We use Kobold water meters, EDM model, but I'm not sure how much they cost?
The only thing that might be an issue is your GPM rates. The meters we have range from 2-20GPM and then 20-200 GPM.
both are setup to be used with 2" hose, the smaller meter uses 3/4" pipe and then we adapt up to 2". The large meter is 2" already.
Just remember, you'll need 2 x "the pipe diameter" on the outlet of the meter.
http://koboldusa.com/products/flow/rotating-vane-flowmeter-and-switches

1 - 11 of 11 Posts