Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure its been asked on here before . I have a 414ci yates motor with a 101mm on it . Would it be best with two small gates or one 66mm ? I am using a boost controller . Also how about BOV's ? I have one big red procharger valve on it now . Would two be better ? Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Yes two Tial 46's would be perfect

·
Registered
3 Posts
Circle Area = π r2
2 46mm circles =3324mm2 of area
1 66mm circle = 3421mm2 of area

All things being equal the 66mm unit should flow more and work better.
People may have found that variables in the real world negate the small increase in theoretical flow so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A waste gates function is to control pressure levels.
If a single 60 controls pressure properly than it would be unnecessary for basic function to run two.Using two would also:add complexity and cost. Conversely, a second unit would offer redundancy which could save your engine if a failure occurred.

If a single 60 cannot control pressure levels then more wastegate is a requirement.

If you know the exhaust gas pressure you are dealing with you can calculate the approximate flow capabilities of wastegates you are considering based on orifice area. Orifice size alone is not a fair comparison due to the mechanisms used: Poppet vs Flapper etc. some flow more than others based on that.Keep that in mind when making comparisons.

I know my posts seem kind of wishy washy but there is no hard and fast answer to most things in the performance automotive world. There are so many variables to consider.Eliminating variables is the key to success in any form of testing. That being said it is a pressure control device and having more of that capability is rarely ever a bad thing. It'd be nice to hear from people with real world testing on this subject.

The basic point is: Make your best effort to use the scientific method of testing. Trust math before trusting someone that says works but doesn't have evidence to back it up.If it works but you don't know why; figure it out before fully committing.

We didn't get to the moon because someone from NASA "thought" a part they used made everything work.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Where the gate is mounted is the most important thing. I have seen numerous times a single 60 mounted in a bad position not be able to gate worth a crap. Replaced with 2 46 mm gates mounted in priority positions and it works perfectly. My point is size of gate and gate placement need to go hand in hand when setting up your system. Just don't assume if you put a gate that flows what you need that it will bypass enough once connected to the system. If the path of least resistance is thru the turbo that's where the gas will go. Priority gating is critical to low boost control.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also if running a divided flange twins, one on each bank, will work better as it will keep things divided rather than merging the banks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm going to run 2 46's . I have the room and think if I put them in the 90's they will work better that one 66mm . Its only about 85.00 more to do it price wise .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts