Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I put air in the bottom of the gates, I hear some escape out the the dump tube. Both gates seem to be equal. So I assume the air is going through the guide and out the tube. I can but haven't leaked it down to check the percentage. Didn't know if it is normal or not. When putting my hand over the dump tube there is very little volume, not enough to feel unless I cap it off with my hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its normal.
There must be some clearance between the valve and guide so the valve can move freely, or it will gall up and potentially seize.
ALL gates will have some leakage here when "bench testing". Note that exhaust back pressure typically will negate any minor boost pressure leakage so the net effect is no leakage under operation.

Cheaper wastegates will have more clearance because they do not have quality coatings on the valve stem (hard chroming etc) which are expensive.
In addition the cheaper gates do not have good consistently in machining and guide bore diameter and finish.

Another example of you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Turbosmart 45mm Hyper-Gate Their five years old. I took them apart last year just cleaned, looked them over and lapped the valves / seats that looked good. And worked smooth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its normal.
There must be some clearance between the valve and guide so the valve can move freely, or it will gall up and potentially seize.
ALL gates will have some leakage here when "bench testing". Note that exhaust back pressure typically will negate any minor boost pressure leakage so the net effect is no leakage under operation.

Cheaper wastegates will have more clearance because they do not have quality coatings on the valve stem (hard chroming etc) which are expensive.
In addition the cheaper gates do not have good consistently in machining and guide bore diameter and finish.

Another example of you get what you pay for.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Turbosmart 45mm Hyper-Gate Their five years old. I took them apart last year just cleaned, looked them over and lapped the valves / seats that looked good. And worked smooth.
See above to Marty S.

Your minor leakage is quite normal since it is minor. A nice testament to 5 year old gate's ability to hold it's tolerance over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts