Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering for those guys who went to Qatar how was it over there and what did you do when you weren't racing. I don't know about it but how did the people treat you over there and was the country strict. I know friends who have been to saudi arabia and the have strict laws wiyth no alcohol! Didn't know how close Qatar was close to this. Just wondering

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know if you've been watching the news but scary over in the Middle
East the last couple of days. Looks like the dissident "
Brotherhood" is trying to incite the entire Middle
East into chaos (revolution).
Scary
Shit........

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn I know it can get bad over there. I don't. Think I would of gone over there just my opinion

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
BF Randy just landed a few minutes ago on his 2nd trip to race with Dave Hance the next few weeks. He has nothing but great things to say about the people, the track, the scenery. They have worked on the car much of the 1st 3 weeks there were there to get it ready to race. They race Thurs-Friday, so Mon-Wed are usually testing and preparing.

The track is one of the very best he has ever seen-always prepped well. Indoor garages, good food, great hospitality and friends. It is a very dry area, so sometimes there is alot of dust blowing around and the track staff works very hard to prep it.

In his downtime, he hangs out alot with friends that are also racing there. Some of the trips include the sand drags and riding 4-wheelers, etc. If you are on Facebook, he has posted a lot of pictures-
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000536002518
Also search there on Rob Hunnicut has posted a bunch of pics and check out Arabian Drag Racing League's FB page too.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Been to both Qatar and Bahrain, they are both very western and safe.
Really, very western?? Lets ask the question when was the last time you saw a woman in a picture at the races over there interacting with the men behind the starting line, or for that matter, driving one of the cars, which you will probably NEVER see.. Tinzy, how many times have you been up at the starting line there looking all beautiful and free, as you do here in the States, or just about any Country you might visit in Europe??

I know I look for women in all the starting line pics from over there, and women are missing from every one I have seen, so nothing "western" about THAT! Lets not play games, lets call it what it is..

I have no problem with the people directly, but I do have a problem with the culture.. Women are equally as capable as men, but some cultures do not believe this..

This is a serious question, as it is a serious issue...

I have never been to the Middle East, but had a guy who worked for me who spent a year or so in Saudi Arabia, he said culturally it was like stepping back a couple thousand years!

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
I have never been to the Middle East, but had a guy who worked for me who spent a year or so in Saudi Arabia, he said culturally it was like stepping back a couple thousand years!
1st you need to look at a world map. Saudi Arabia is a darn good distance from the area the OP was talking about. It's also culturally different as well. You comparing apples and oranges like that, would lead some to think you don't know what your talking about. :p

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Really, very western?? Lets ask the question when was the last time you saw a woman in a picture at the races over there interacting with the men behind the starting line, or for that matter, driving one of the cars, which you will probably NEVER see.. Tinzy, how many times have you been up at the starting line there looking all beautiful and free, as you do here in the States, or just about any Country you might visit in Europe??

I know I look for women in all the starting line pics from over there, and women are missing from every one I have seen, so nothing "western" about THAT! Lets not play games, lets call it what it is..

I have no problem with the people directly, but I do have a problem with the culture.. Women are equally as capable as men, but some cultures do not believe this..

Ive seen Cindy Taylor (Frankies Wife) in some pics from over there

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
1st you need to look at a world map. Saudi Arabia is a darn good distance from the area the OP was talking about. It's also culturally different as well. You comparing apples and oranges like that, would lead some to think you don't know what your talking about. :p
I realize that Qatar is no Saudi Arabia, and maybe YOU need to look at a map before you talk, Qatar boarders Saudi Arabia!! :roll:

Someone may "think" I don't know what I am talking about, but I KNOW you don't.. ;) Furthermore, it is you're.. :p

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Cindy Taylor is there, Ellis Vial's wife Kim, Angie Smith-Matt's wife, Amanda who works for ADRL and a couple of other PXM riders' wives that I don't know. It is a big committment to go over there for weeks at a time and I think most of them stayed home to their jobs and kids. Denise Tutterow has been there several times as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I realize that Qatar is no Saudi Arabia, and maybe YOU need to look at a map before you talk, Qatar boarders Saudi Arabia!! :roll:

Someone may "think" I don't know what I am talking about, but I KNOW you don't.. ;) Furthermore, it is you're.. :p
Things are different with the people but thats their culture .The thing that is a 1000 years behind is our structure and architecture.Those places are beautiful.And the hospitality that we received while there was 1st class,male or female.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts

You "realize that Qatar is no Saudi Arabia"? Then why talk about Saudi Arabia as if were the same? The U.S. and Mexico are close to each other - I guess you perceive no difference there either.
You are the one thinking the culture is the same, not I.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cindy Taylor is there, Ellis Vial's wife Kim, Angie Smith-Matt's wife, Amanda who works for ADRL and a couple of other PXM riders' wives that I don't know. It is a big committment to go over there for weeks at a time and I think most of them stayed home to their jobs and kids. Denise Tutterow has been there several times as well.
I think he was refering to women native to Qutar being at the track, not the wives of the American Drivers

·
11,821 Posts
recently returned from first trip to Qatar.

1) Had a great time..

2) Was treated really well every where I went

3) The facilities were 1st class including racing surface, garages, bathrooms very clean !

4) As we all know race-cars "sometimes" break parts and need fixing...anytime we encounted a problem the great folks from Qatar Racing Club and Al Anabi Racing always lent us a hand or a part so we could keep racing....very cool indeed.

5) Last but Not least we have met so many new friends. Drag Racing for me has been tough the last 10 years...spent every available minute and every available dollar chasing a good number and perhaps the most valuable thing I have been left with are the friendships and relationships developed thru Drag Racing and you can't put a price on that.

6) I David Hance Thank the Qatar Racing Club and Al Anabi Racing for the great opportunity.

·
Clutch Slave
910 Posts

I spent 5 weeks over there, working on Sallah Sallahuddin's Outlaw 10.5 car. I was on the starting in my normal clothing all "beautiful and free" as you would call it. I was treated with respect, his team had no problems working alongside a woman. They even put a picture of me in one of the Doha newspapers. I'm not the only one either! Half of the women their wear the traditional dress, the other half wear regular clothing. People in the US need to understand that it's a different culture, the reason you may never see an Arabic women on the starting line, in a car, or on a crew is because they do not want to do those things. Bahrain and Qatar cannot be compared to Saudi...they are apples and oranges...I would have to cover up if I wanted to go to Saudi.

My beautiful friend Kylee on the starting line in Qatar....

Melissa lining up Mike Hill in Qatar...

Not to mention, Melissa Smith who works on Balooshi's Car, Angie Smith, and Cindy Taylor.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I spent 5 weeks over there, working on Sallah Sallahuddin's Outlaw 10.5 car. I was on the starting in my normal clothing all "beautiful and free" as you would call it. I was treated with respect, his team had no problems working alongside a woman. They even put a picture of me in one of the Doha newspapers. I'm not the only one either! Half of the women their wear the traditional dress, the other half wear regular clothing. People in the US need to understand that it's a different culture, the reason you may never see an Arabic women on the starting line, in a car, or on a crew is because they do not want to do those things. Bahrain and Qatar cannot be compared to Saudi...they are apples and oranges...I would have to cover up if I wanted to go to Saudi
Not to mention, Melissa Smith who works on Balooshi's Car, Angie Smith, and Cindy Taylor.
Again, I realize it is no SA, but you did acknowledge the absence of Qatari women involved in those events?? I DO NOT expect you to be critical, your views will be slanted, for obvious reasons, regardless to what you say here..

Do you REALLY believe what you are saying, that the Qatari women want nothing to do with the racing, you can't possibly believe that, can you?? The fact of the matter is, the culture does not really allow it, and if it did, it would still be frowned upon, so THIS is why you don't see it, not simply that the women don't want to enjoy time with their boyfriends, and husbands at the races, as they do in most other places around the World.. That logic is really silly, and I know you are smarter then that!

I would expect American woman to be involved, as these guys have cash poring outta the ground, and they love spending that money racing, and in order to race at the level they want to, they need European and American involvement, and with that goes the women, so it is tolerated for their own good..

Now this is my view based on some reading, and speaking to some people openly, which I don't believe will happen here, and again, I am sure these guys are WONDERFUL people, and go out of their way to accommodate you and other Westerners, and I would LOVE to take a trip over there and have some involvement in the racing, it is clear that they are very passionate about it, and so am I, so we have those two things in common, and I don't mean any disrespect.. I think I can disagree without being disrespectful.. I "bolded" that so the point isn't missed..

With this said, I doubt I will be getting an open invite to Qatar or UAE anytime soon.. :rolleyes:

·
Clutch Slave
910 Posts
There is a big cultural difference between the two of us. The husbands and wives don't really do things together like we do here in the US. Here in the US, most men drag their wife to the track and the car show's and women drag their husbands to....well to whatever it is that women do LOL. They separate interest in their culture, unless it's a family thing. The men go to the races while the women have tea/dinner parties with friends. The women could give a crap less about racing and cars….they don’t care. They would rather gossip with friends, go shopping, and talk about babies. They prefer it that way. They still do things together; go out to eat...ect, but they are things with a mutual interest. Women are more feminine there; they don't want or expect them to do manual labor.

This is not a biased opinion, this is simply what I observed after spending time with the family, the men, and the women separately.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts