Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Air-conditioned AMC cars had a feature that likely no other make had: Desert-Only mode (later named "COLD," placed to the left of "COOL"). In Desert Only or COLD, the compressor ran ALL of the time (without cycling on and off), thus pushing vent temperatures down to the upper 20s or low 30s. Obviously, if this mode was used for too long in humid weather, the evaporator core would freeze up and air flow would drop dramatically or cease altogether. "

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,670 Posts
Google works

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
When I was a kid my grandparents had an early 80s AMC Concord. Don't remeber if it had that desert feature, but that car had the coldest AC of any car I've ever been in.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Damn, It is always interesting to see what oddball / hidden /unknown features the older cars had back in the day....should start a thread on that.

·
Former RJ instigator
39,059 Posts
When I was a kid my grandparents had an early 80s AMC Concord. Don't remeber if it had that desert feature, but that car had the coldest AC of any car I've ever been in.
It probably had one those old square Tecumseh a/c compressors.

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
Damn, It is always interesting to see what oddball / hidden /unknown features the older cars had back in the day....should start a thread on that.
Rambler "Twin Stick"

·
44,032 Posts
AMC = Almost a Car..... LOL. That is said with humor, so don't attack. There were some cool ones. We just restored 69 Javelin SST, 390, 4speed car, numbers match car. What a pain to find certain parts for these cars. It's easier to find AMX parts because people restore them more often,...almost no aftermarket support for the Javelin.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
We had a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I believe it was a 1979. It had a feature called 'Pre Cool'... This turned on the compressor without turning on the vent fan... When first turning on the AC, you turned it to this for a few seconds so you wouldn't get blasted by hot air. Pretty Cool! Literally... lol

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Ha! I read a hilarious story, a couple years back, about a guy who undertook the restoration of a 50's Power Wagon. A couple winters in, he had done the cab and box, and the engine, and then it was time to dismantle the chassis itself and get it sandblasted. So, on about the first snowfall of a Vermont winter, he pulls the wheels off one side. The other side, however, refused to budge. He tries a few tricks, but nothing he does seems to work. Getting the wheel nuts off the one side consumes a whole winter, to no avail. Then one day, when the spring runoff is in full swing, he's having coffee with "the boys" at his usual hangout. The subject of old cars comes up, and their various idiosyncrasies. One of "the boys" happens to mention "them goddamn old Dodges with the left hand wheel studs on one side."

·
Smart Ass Conservative
100,238 Posts
:)

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
25,936 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts