Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some help please . I have a 67 Chevelle factory power steer and want to convert back to manual. should I jus go back with stock replacement GM 525 box which is a slow ratio like 24:1 over 6 turns lock to lock and I think its even slower ratio than my power steer box ,im looking ay a quicker ratio 16:1manual box but im also concerned of it steer to quick for drag strip use and not really want to do a steer rack so im jus wondering am I limited to what all I can do to get the best out of a manual conversion. any input on this greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 67 GTO with the original standard steering box and I feel it is perfect for drag racing; my other 67 GTO has power steering and for racing I would not like it at all, too touchy. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks GTO Jesse . That's what im leaning towards is jus a stock replacement although I found a quicker ratio manual box but it will be harder to steer im afraid even though it would respond quicker being a 16:1 and I think stock replace is 24:1 in manual so yeah I appreciate the advice very much and any other input on this as well. thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am in the middle of the same swap but on a 1st gen camaro. I am heading towards the 16:1 box as well. People either love of hate them so its hard to get a good idea of which direction to go but it sounds like the only real downfall is trying to steer while stopped or at very low speeds. I have been shopping them and rock auto seems to be the place to buy... Good luck

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
A buddy who went manual steering is still using his power steering box. All he did was had a short line built that would loop from one port to the other on the box and its performed flawlessly. Just make sure to fill the line up and quickly reattach trying not to spill fluid. You will spill a little but no biggie. This is always an option if funds are tight. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A buddy who went manual steering is still using his power steering box. All he did was had a short line built that would loop from one port to the other on the box and its performed flawlessly. Just make sure to fill the line up and quickly reattach trying not to spill fluid. You will spill a little but no biggie. This is always an option if funds are tight. Just a thought.
I did this at first with my chevelle into the 10's and then when a manual box was available I put that in. Had no problems over 140 mph with my car and stock steering.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A bigger diameter steering wheel will make it easier

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Aren't the steering arms on the knuckles different?
I know on my 1st gen, I took the power disc spindles from a early Chevelle but the arms were shorter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts