Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I respect him and all he has done in the class, from the early days with his BB Vega, by golly I can't help but wonder why he didn't put a young, high-profile driver in the car some time ago. If a guy stops and thinks about it, W/J is one of the best drivers out there, just not one of the best leavers. If it could all be changed, a sponsor would have loved to climb aboard and have given them support. The Professor of Pro Stock angle could still have been used for marketing, just as a tuner and car owner not a driver.

·
Registered
769 Posts
His EGO was way to big for anyone but himself. Surprisingly crazy that he could even fit his head in a car. I was a huge fan of his and then as he got older he thought the industry owed him something and was rather hateful to fans (read as customers of your sponsors). I saw him have a nice interview with the reporters and as soon as the camera was off there was a kid wanting an autograph and he asked for it and WJ said, can't you see I am busy and just stood there looking at his car from afar. It was amazing how many people just left after about three minutes of him standing there, not working on his car, not even getting close to it, BS'ing over dinner with one of his crew members. Time just caught up to his Ego.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15 cars at NorthStars, W/J could have been there and got it for certain.

·
Registered
80 Posts
His EGO was way to big for anyone but himself. Surprisingly crazy that he could even fit his head in a car. I was a huge fan of his and then as he got older he thought the industry owed him something and was rather hateful to fans (read as customers of your sponsors). I saw him have a nice interview with the reporters and as soon as the camera was off there was a kid wanting an autograph and he asked for it and WJ said, can't you see I am busy and just stood there looking at his car from afar. It was amazing how many people just left after about three minutes of him standing there, not working on his car, not even getting close to it, BS'ing over dinner with one of his crew members. Time just caught up to his Ego.
lol..you have no clue...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Sponsors are associated with the driver......not the car owner.

Companies wanted to sponsor Warren Johnson the "king of power" not Joe Good Driver......it's that simple.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Companies wanted to sponsor Warren Johnson the "king of power" not Joe Good Driver......it's that simple.

Tell that to Roland Leong and his 26 different drivers. Also John Force did pretty good as a car owner in getting sponsors, with total unknowns at the time (Robert Height and Mike Neff).

·
Registered
272 Posts
WJ did say he was quitting I think it was 2005. Had the Schools Out Tour. Gene Wilson was named driver. He tested and was fitted for a new car. Two days before Pomona 2006 WJ told Gene he was being let go and he was returning to the seat. I bet Gene would of became one the top drivers after winning rookie of the year, 2 top 10s then lost ride then hired as WJ's replacement then let go. He quit and never came back. Gene is a great guy and friend just wish he was given a chance.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
wj said it's not that he don't want to race, the problem is they are too backed up at their shop and have no time to race and that led to them falling behind on testing, set ups, etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
first year I went to maple grove I stood at his pit at the end of the day and waited an hour to get an autograph. Now he knows I wont leave without a autograph so he signs right away now lol

·
23,498 Posts
As much as I respect him and all he has done in the class, from the early days with his BB Vega, by golly I can't help but wonder why he didn't put a young, high-profile driver in the car some time ago. If a guy stops and thinks about it, W/J is one of the best drivers out there, just not one of the best leavers. If it could all be changed, a sponsor would have loved to climb aboard and have given them support. The Professor of Pro Stock angle could still have been used for marketing, just as a tuner and car owner not a driver.
blah blah blah

wj sucks and always did as a driver. He can't win a race unless he has tenth on the field.

He is crew chief and expert engine builder and nothing more.

He and his son have the worst attitude toward people I've ever seen. He should have put real driver in the car that didn't do anything but drive and he would have been way better off in the end.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blah blah blah

wj sucks and always did as a driver. He can't win a race unless he has tenth on the field.

He is crew chief and expert engine builder and nothing more.

He and his son have the worst attitude toward people I've ever seen. He should have put real driver in the car that didn't do anything but drive and he would have been way better off in the end.
Why the anger? I said he was not a leaver, but a good driver in the sense of not crashing, hitting walls, etc.

He's made as many or more passes down the quarter mile than just about anyone in the class or any Pro class.

·
Banned
26,908 Posts
Its funny that he calls himself the Professor, because Glidden taught HIM for all of the 70's and 80's and most of the 90's as well.
The ONLY reason why WJ passed Gliddens record, is because Glidden retired.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
larry morgan said in his interview that warren was a business man and is simply not willing to do something that there is no possible way of making money....also stated that nascar makes sure racers have enough mny to race on .....kinda makes sense if you think about it and where professional drag racing is headed............................

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

X2 and Warren has discussed it several times over the years. He never particularly liked driving but was part of the job in earlier years. And the later years GM said no to someone else being the driver.

Never could figure out you WJ haters. He was the last of the PS guys that did it all and that took major effort and focus. He has my respect.

Blessings..........Ron

1 - 20 of 49 Posts