Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
You had to change rings for the viper. It would be very unusual for Vortex to send you a defective scope as a replacement.
You sure you have the right rings for the crossfire? 30mm vs 1inch.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, I’m sure about the rings. I put Vortex tactical rings (one inch) on the crossfire scopes. I simply moved them from the broken scope to the new one they sent me. Scope was leveled and rings torqued to specs. BTW, this is on a Marlin 17 HMR. I installed an Evolution Gunworks Picatinny Mount since it came highly recommended. I rechecked it when I removed the broken scope and it was still tight.

My friend loaned me his Viper and a set of 30 mm rings. Leveled scope and rings torqued to specs. Rifle shot flawlessly. Before I send it back I may reinstall the crossfire and try it one more time, A-B-A test and see what happens. What is strange however is that the rifle shot better than it ever has with the Viper scope. I’m thinking the original scope had problems to begin with and finally cratered. I have an extra set of one inch rings, I might reinstall the crossfire with them and see what happens. The only 30 mm stuff I had were cantilever mounts and they won’t work with the Evolution mount. (Too high)

I’m betting the new scope is screwed up. We will see. I’ll post the results in the next week or so.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts