Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I took a vitamin from GNC called Solotron. Got away from it due to costs, but they really helped with joint pain.

Been on Centrum Silver, but I'm sure they are crap.

Any of you guys out there (over 50) taking any suppliment vitamins and want to share your reasons and results?

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Years ago I took a vitamin from GNC called Solotron. Got away from it due to costs, but they really helped with joint pain.

Any of you guys out there (over 50) taking any suppliment vitamins and want to share your reasons and results?
Like anything it depends on whatcha read, some say if you have a shit diet and cant eat proper, like most folks on the go, a daily is essential to "help". Other studies say you piss it all out and they do nothing at all.

I'm going to be 40 next month and have been taking Centrum Silver for about a year, just figured it's twice the stuff as regular, plus I take them twice a day...typical American male, lil= good, lots=more gooder.

weather it does shit, I dunno, figure with all the shit we ingest chemical wise with normal food, a lil vitamin pill prolly wont make things any worse.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Wish I could find something to help my knuckles on one hand. My mom swears by alfalfa tabs, but didn't help me, at least my hand. I take bcomplex daily, eyedropper full under tongue. It's supposed to just be for wellness and energy. I really think it's helped with colds and flu as I really haven't been too sick since I started taking several years ago... I'm knocking on wood as I type, lol. The energy part it's failing miserably. Also take fishoil and flax oil for cholesterol. Take another multi vitamin with leuten (sp) for hereditary eye problems. Macular degeneraton.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am 45 and cutting back on any diet sodas will help with joint pain. As for vitamins, i take the following every morning:
B6, B12, E, D, Potassium, Fish Oil, Milk thistle, C, and a couple of supplements.
Never felt better

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I asked my Doctor about taking vitamins. He checked my bloodwork and said I was slightly deficient in vitamin A, but everything else was good and said supplements were unnecessary for me. He also said that sometimes too much is not good, for example too much potassium can cause problems.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I have heard from other old farts that Glucosamine stuff helps, I don't know if its mental or really does-I just turned 68, never treated my body with the respect I prob should have, pretty much ate what I wanted, but I did always watch my weight, still workout twice a week-other than a couple broken bones, and rotator cuff surgery, my joints feel pretty good all the time-whenever I feel a little achy, a couple Advil and I am good to go
I noticed if I get into a little inactive time, I don't feel as good as staying active-when I start a new car project, just the phy. part really picks me up
I think diet can really help, certain nat. things can prob make a diff
I have never been a vit. taker, I tried it and didn't see a diff-if your lacking something, then prob help, like vit. D

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Weight loss, exercise, & eating healthy works wonders.....pills do not.
Ditto. Weight trained all my life taking about everything looking for that "Magical Supplement." The "Magical Supplement" is a good diet, sustainable exercise program and common-sense weight management. Vitamins for most people are a complete waste of money. The latest research on longevity came out with the non-vitamin takers living longer than the vitamin takers. Kinda takes the magic out.

Denny

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
I wouldn't take anything from GNC if they gave it to me...............grossly overpriced garbage for fitness newbs.............I don't know anyone that is serious about fitness using their stuff...........I can get better protein powder for 1/3 the price of GNC

I use super concentrated MSM,gluco/chondroitin liquid that I bought from a Tack supply.............it is for horses...........Actiflex 4000 is the name.........I bought 5 quarts for 100 bucks with free shipping.............It will last my dog and I at least a year and works great

·
Former RJ instigator
42,700 Posts
Ditto. Weight trained all my life taking about everything looking for that "Magical Supplement." The "Magical Supplement" is a good diet, sustainable exercise program and common-sense weight management. Vitamins for most people are a complete waste of money. The latest research on longevity came out with the non-vitamin takers living longer than the vitamin takers. Kinda takes the magic out.

Denny
Yeah but doesn't this only work if you eat right and try to stay healthy?
Myself, I'm on the go allot, work shitty crazy hours and for the most part I don't eat what one would call a healthy diet, nor do I exercise, unless you call fucking once or twice a week and hard manual labor exercise..... :p

With that said I drink an occasional can of V8 juice and take a men's health multi, (walmart generic brand no less), doc said on my visit I was vitamin D deficient, I got blood work again this Thursday, I've been taking 2000 IU of D3 for the past 6 months, we shall see..........

·
Former RJ instigator
42,700 Posts

Have you talked to your Dr about the joint pain? A simple script for some anti-inflammatory medication might do the trick, that's what my wife takes, without it she's not a happy camper trust me....., she's 58 BTW

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't take anything from GNC if they gave it to me...............grossly overpriced garbage for fitness newbs.............I don't know anyone that is serious about fitness using their stuff...........I can get better protein powder for 1/3 the price of GNC

I use super concentrated MSM,gluco/chondroitin liquid that I bought from a Tack supply.............it is for horses...........Actiflex 4000 is the name.........I bought 5 quarts for 100 bucks with free shipping.............It will last my dog and I at least a year and works great

Dave, its just wierd. I had a bad left knee about 25 years ago. I almost went in for surgery but started taking the solotron and the pain went away. No idea what is in them to help, but it did. If I forgot a day or 2, the pain would return, i would begin again and it went away.

My doctor told me he doesn't know why it does, but if it does, keep taking them.

Now I have a similar pain in my right knee. Started in April. I've been waiting for it to go away, but it hasn't.

I'm very tempted to try them again. If I do, I'll report back. I agree with the price/quality factor of GNC products. I would buy these from Family Dollar if they worked! :)

·
LP-25.com
1,385 Posts
Mark you should watch the documentary "Food Matters" it's on Netflix bits and pieces on youtube a search will turn up the entire episode.

Vitamins changed our lives a few years ago. I'm 52 a big guy 275 lbs but am healthy as I can be. On no meds at all good blood pressure blood sugar etc. I take 24,000mg of vitamin c a day 3,000 mg of niacin plus calcium magnesium E etc.

There is no supplement that has "enough" of any vitamin or mineral that we lack in the typical processed food American diet.

If you want to talk about it send me a PM

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you talked to your Dr about the joint pain? A simple script for some anti-inflammatory medication might do the trick, that's what my wife takes, without it she's not a happy camper trust me....., she's 58 BTW

No I haven't. I guess that will be my last resort. I tried some old anti=inflammatorys left over from something else, but did nothing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts