Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a product so bad that you were just "done" and wanted your money back? I've never even attempted this before, but I'm going to tomorrow.

I bought a chrome moly K-Member with dropped front legs (for turbo header clearance) and a dropped rack mount for a Mustang rack, a pair of dropped spindles for cartridge style struts, a pair of caster/camber plates, and pair of KONI double adjustable cartridge style struts from Anthony Jones Engineering back on the 21st of April this year. I paid them $2350.00 which billed on my VISA card on the 21st of April.

Keep in mind I explained very clearly to Jim that I was on a deadline and was trying to made the WSC in St. Louis. He said they could and would make the deadline. Well the stuff finally shows up the end of the first week in June.

Double the time promised is a bitch, but not totally unusaul in the performance business. Fortunately I had left the PA K-member and related suspension under the car till I had a tracking number for the AJE parts. When the parts arrive my car is on the dyno at BB&T Racing in Southhaven MS and I plan to install them after that race weekend.

I get back from Bowling Green the following Monday only to discover the K-member does NOT have a dropped rack mount, and has PINTO mounts, NOT Mustang mounts. After not having the parts for two events, and then when I finally get them they are wrong, I'm not the happiest camper. To add insult to injury, the K-Member has a tag tied to the Pinto rack mount with my name on it and the part number for a Moly K-member with a dropped Mustang rack mount. ???????????

I call Jim at AJE and explain what I have sitting in front of me. He has no explaination and does apologize, and says if I send it back they can remove the incorrect rack mount tube and install the correct one with the correct mounts on it no charge.

I'm trying to be decent here, so I box it up and send it back. Keep in mind this is 2nd week in June. I didn't get it back till two weeks ago. How can it take 2 months to change out one bar and re-powder coat a K-Member?

Ok so this is where me wanting to just be done with AJE comes in. I install the rack after I get it back and find that the passenger side rack mount is 5/8" lower than the driver's side in relation to the frame rails, and the passenger side control arm bolt centerline is 1/4" lower than the driver's side (also in relation to the frame rails).

Don't get me wrong, I COULD put 1/4" spacers between the top of the driver's side of the K-Member, and cut off the passenger side rack mount, recess the crossmember tube and reweld it back into the proper position, but if I do that, my Powder coating I paid good money for is shot, and I'm not sending it back only to have to wait another 8 weeks to get it back and take a chance on it being messed up AGAIN!

If you paid $2350 for this kind of product and service, what would YOU do?

I've had AJE stuff for years, and never had issues like this. The quality has always been fine and I've not had a complaint but this is just WAY beyond BS.

So .. back to the title of the thread, what criteria do I have to meet to get VISA to charge this whole mess back to AJE? Keep in mind also that Jim never even offered to pay my shipping costs to send the K-member back to him.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Should of called RACECRAFT INC in the first place and all your problems would have been solved. I would contact AJ first and demand a refund in full plus freight.

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
i have had nothing but problems with AJE myself, as i stated in a earlier post, they like to MIG weld chromoly tubing. Thats says just about enough for AJE and their quality. They are a bunch of red necks that shouldnt be building that crap.

You suck AJE!!

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should of called RACECRAFT INC in the first place and all your problems would have been solved. I would contact AJ first and demand a refund in full plus freight.
I'll be calling AJE first thing in the morning and doing just that. If they refuse, I will give them the opportunity to refund the K-member and repair it myself. If they refuse that, then I'm going to VISA. I'll tell them what happened, and see if they can get my money back.

I really don't want to be a bastard about this, but ... enough is enough.

At this point I'd return it all and eat the shipping if they'd just give me a full refund on the initial $2350. I just want to be done with AJE once and for all.

My race partner has a 69 Mach 1 he's got an 04 Cobra engine for and he wants to buy a complete AJE conversion front end for it. He told me this afternoon that if they don't make this right with me, he'll never spend a dime with them. If they make this right with me, I'll go away quietly, otherwise I plan to make this as publicly painfull for them as I possibly can.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
So ... what happened???
I got so pissed I just sold the stuff off at a loss after it was all over. Wrong parts several times, months to get a simple credit where they charged me twice for a couple smaller parts (300.00) and four months to get everything finally.

But to their credit they charged my credit card the second I got off the phone with them, thats the only thing they didnt screw up.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I went through something similar with Centerline wheels....waited almost 4 months and the wheels look like shit. They told me 2 weeks when I ordered. They said I could send em back but I have to pay shipping and it would be 3- 4 weeks before I got replacements...well if 2 weeks = 3 and a half months what would be the wait for "3-4 weeks" I just kept them.

·
Senior Frog
10,443 Posts
Never powder coat or header coat or paint untill the car is 100% race ready...You want it perfect and you made the mistake of powdercoating it,you will loose your case with visa/mc....

I am not standing up for AJE,I hear they have thier issues with alot of racers
but its yor fault its coated and I am sure they would repair it for your free of charge
or issue you a full credit but using visa/mc to be your arbitrator is a mistake

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Scott, its very simple,but youmay have to go to a branch of your bank,thats what I had to do.I filled out a fraudulent complaint.They took about 2 days,then refunded my money.

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never powder coat or header coat or paint untill the car is 100% race ready...You want it perfect and you made the mistake of powdercoating it,you will loose your case with visa/mc....

I am not standing up for AJE,I hear they have thier issues with alot of racers
but its yor fault its coated and I am sure they would repair it for your free of charge
or issue you a full credit but using visa/mc to be your arbitrator is a mistake
AJE delivers all it's K-Members powder coated. It's not an option, it's part of the purchase price whether you want it or not, so how is that MY fault???. If you had read my initial post you would already know that they have already had me send it back once, and they screwed it up AGAIN .. free of charge, except for me eating the shipping to send it back so they could fix their mistake "free of charge," which I also already mentioned. In fact, they blamed their powder coater for the 2 month delay in getting it back the 2nd time.

And before you comment again (which I'm guessing you will) please note, I'm going to give AJE a chance to make it right before I go to VISA. Using VISA as an arbitor is a last resort, but I've already said that previously too.

Look man, not to be an asshole, but did you even read the initail post all the way through? You sound as though your attacking me as though I'm some kind of "want something for nothing" crook. I'm not the bad guy here. I do however feel that I have NOT received anywhere near value spent for the product received. I have given them the chance to fix it on my dime already. It's been 5 months and I still don't have a product I can use. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to want to a refund.

·
Senior Frog
10,443 Posts
AJE delivers all it's K-Members powder coated. It's not an option, it's part of the purchase price whether you want it or not, so how is that MY fault???. If you had read my initial post you would already know that they have already had me send it back once, and they screwed it up AGAIN .. free of charge, except for me eating the shipping to send it back so they could fix their mistake "free of charge," which I also already mentioned. In fact, they blamed their powder coater for the 2 month delay in getting it back the 2nd time.

And before you comment again (which I'm guessing you will) please note, I'm going to give AJE a chance to make it right before I go to VISA. Using VISA as an arbitor is a last resort, but I've already said that previously too.

Look man, not to be an asshole, but did you even read the initail post all the way through? You sound as though your attacking me as though I'm some kind of "want something for nothing" crook. I'm not the bad guy here. I do however feel that I have NOT received anywhere near value spent for the product received. I have given them the chance to fix it on my dime already. It's been 5 months and I still don't have a product I can use. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to want to a refund.
My point was to mention that visa/mc and your situatiuon ..saying that you would be best to work it out with AJE because you dont have a claim IF AJE did not want to offer a refund because they at AJE would simple ask you to send it back for repair....
And if it took multiple times to get it to perfection they have the right to fix it as many times needed to try to make you happy so the can earn a living........I am not saying AJE is good at what they do or bad I am just saying what I see as facts as a business owner myself what happens when you go this route ....... I have been on both sides of the visa/mc complaints and visa/mc will push you to allow the vendor to make right before forcing a refund . . .
The only way you could get your money back from visa/mc is
IF AJE refused to repair your part or exchange it.......and that takes MONTHS . . . . .

good luck

·
Another Nobody
11,807 Posts

first off i would not accept a repaired cross member, I would want a new one... why you ask, it not because you bought a new one , it is because it is moly, if it has been powder coated it has been heated once, then overheated to remove that powder(it is usually burned off at about 850F), Then welded on for a third time and then burned off again, then re powder coated, I do not know what all these heat cycles have done to the molecular structure of the moly. DO you want to be guessing what is going to happen to the front end at 200MPH , I don't.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
they have the right to fix it as many times needed to try to make you happy so the can earn a living........
Completely disagree with this staement. They (any company) does not have the right to fix their screw up as many times needed to make it right. Only "reasonable" attempts,(or attempt )which unfourtunately is at a Judge's discretion. However, when you factor in the time delays and overall handling, I think the guy is done and should get a full refund.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Completely disagree with this staement. They (any company) does not have the right to fix their screw up as many times needed to make it right. Only "reasonable" attempts,(or attempt )which unfourtunately is at a Judge's discretion. However, when you factor in the time delays and overall handling, I think the guy is done and should get a full refund.
X2.. it should be correct out of the box. If not, they had a chance to correct the issue. If I'm buying custom suspension components, I'd expect them to fit a lot closer than what has been described here.

Just to be fair though... any chance your frame is off a little bit? Just asking..

·
Registered
508 Posts
I lost 3600 to AJE on a MAverick strut conversion..needless to say I wont ever do business with them again...I went to Anothony Personally at WSN in Orlando and he told me to fix it...Also the product he displays is not the product you get...several braces were missing and I didnt feel safe even running the frint suspenion..I eventually just sold the car off....Good Luck getting any of your money back from Tim or Anthony...

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
I agree with your approach by contacting AJE first.
If AJE proves un-cooperative, then contact Visa.

I'd also have to think real hard about contacting the BBB and filing / logging a complaint against AJE.

With regards to how the powdercoat was removed from the clip for the first repair, it could have been heated up OR was put in a sandblast booth. That along with welding over areas that has been already, I too would be concerned about metal fatigue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts