Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got vinyl siding on our garage 24x40. Its wavey on the bad side is that normal? Also notice everything from about 5 feet down you can grap the siding and move it about 1/8'' either way. Thats the way it is suppose to be right? Then 5 feet up you can't move it no matter what it is to tight. What should I say or do to get my contractor to fix it?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
it should move back and forth to allow for the vinyl to grow when it gets hot from the sun/heat, so the part that is wavey is screwed/nailed too tight or when it was cut to fit its to tight and no room to grow!!

·
Fords Only
4,041 Posts
it should move back and forth to allow for the vinyl to grow when it gets hot from the sun/heat, so the part that is wavey is screwed/nailed too tight or when it was cut to fit its to tight and no room to grow!!
x2.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When putting on siding you need to have it so you can move the vinyl back and forth with your hand like what you said. Either the nails are too tight or the length of the siding is too long and when it gets hot it wants to run and theres no place for it to go(needs movement) and it buckles causing it to look wavy. If this was just hung then I would get him back to do it right.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did it when it was cold and now its warm its straight as an arrow but the I still can't move the stuff 5 feet up. I'm trying to get another estimate from another siding place and the guy is telling me he will have to number the pieces and take them down one by one and put them back on in order and that will take alot of time. He agrees they are to tight. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
224 Posts
It has expanded in the heat, like was said above. Either call whoever put it up to fix it, or you can pop the panels off and back all the nails out alittle bit. When you replace the panels, don't "seat" the nail. It's not too bad of a project, just mark each one as you take it down so you know where they go. I used the same nail holes when I had to pull some mine off to fix a water pipe.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has expanded in the heat, like was said above. Either call whoever put it up to fix it, or you can pop the panels off and back all the nails out alittle bit. When you replace the panels, don't "seat" the nail. It's not too bad of a project, just mark each one as you take it down so you know where they go. I used the same nail holes when I had to pull some mine off to fix a water pipe.
Ok thank you but I'm not taking off every piece of siding off a 24x40 garage that is 23.5 feet high. (14' downstairs, 8' upstairs, plus floor joints) F that. It will be fixed by him or taken off the final bill and someone else will do it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
how long ago was it installed? if it was recent i would think the original installer would stand by his workmanship and correct it.the other estimates are going to be high because its a b.s. job and alot of labor involved.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The siding was put on about 6-10 weeks ago. We are fighting over the last $6,000 he says we owe him. But yet he still isn't done fixing stuff. Been 3 weeks since final inspection by codes. They passed it but haven't seen the guy for 3 weeks then shows up today to put door seals, plates or whatever under the door its self on knowing they leaked everytime it rained. Get fed up with this Christian dude. He throws that in my face everytime we talk.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
They did it when it was cold and now its warm its straight as an arrow but the I still can't move the stuff 5 feet up. I'm trying to get another estimate from another siding place and the guy is telling me he will have to number the pieces and take them down one by one and put them back on in order and that will take alot of time. He agrees they are to tight. Any other suggestions?
I usto install remove and repair vinyl siding all the time.
what he told you is the only way to repair it correctly. it must be taken down and reinstalled. when you install it you need to leave the nails sticking out about 1/8 " and over lap your seams 3/4 to 1" ( which is why the end is notched) to allow for expansion and contraction

good luck with the repair
FordSux:

·
Registered
224 Posts
The siding was put on about 6-10 weeks ago. We are fighting over the last $6,000 he says we owe him. But yet he still isn't done fixing stuff. Been 3 weeks since final inspection by codes. They passed it but haven't seen the guy for 3 weeks then shows up today to put door seals, plates or whatever under the door its self on knowing they leaked everytime it rained. Get fed up with this Christian dude. He throws that in my face everytime we talk.
Them guys seem to ALWAYS be the biggest pain to work with...I don't know why, but it just is. :smt102 Oh, I don't blame you for not wanting to do it yourself...if it's only 6-10 weeks old, I'd have them fixing it too, while I sit back in my lawn chair drinking a cold beer and dog cusing every car that went up the road. Just so the "Christian" knew what my disposition was, if he tried to "skimp" on the job again. :finga:

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I look at it like this. I want prove that every piece was taken off and check now. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They got caught on that much and I want it fixed, but think they should have to check every piece.... Am I asking for to much knowing that almost 20 pieces on the back are like this. All I had to do was get on a ladder and I hate heights.

Like I said 6-8 weeks ago it was 30-35 degrees and now its been 70 just about everyday except the beginning of the week.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
You kind of have the upper hand right now, if you owe him money. Depening on your contract with him, he might be able to apply a lean on your house......but, he wont get paid unless you sell or refinance. So, the ball is your court. :p

You already stated above what needs to be done and by whom. Just let him know he wont see his money until its right.

You can always have another contractor come out and write up the problem with an estimate on fixing it. That will show him your not screwing around. If you do that.....PAY the second guy for his time and estimate, that way your not wasting his time or using his letterhead to get your job done right.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you back off now yourself and your wife will be telling you about it forever. If he gives you a hard time tell him you will report him. One time I put up fliers discrediting a contractors work for 6 months. Print one and show him what you intend of doing. There are lots of places to put fliers up. You can also put a sign in your front yard for the world to see.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
You're going to have major problems with that siding. Once it gets warm this summer, it will really look like shit. Don't pay him the balance, until he make's things right. Once he gets paid in full, you'll be pretty much screwed. He'll say it passed inspection, fuck you and the court fight will begin. At least right now you have some leverage.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
being a contractor myself i would think that if the guy is being a hard ass for his money then you should report the problem to your building department were the permit was pulled and let them know that you have a shady deal going on with this contractor and they will look into it.sometimes it turns out that they have to go before the board and show that the problem was fixed and your happy,if the problem keeps persisting at the building department about this guy they can even hold permits being issued to him untill the problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
be careful doing the other bid/contract deal because he does have the right to fix the problem before you can just blow him off and let someone else do it.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....The GRADE of VINYL is important also......Some shits really thin and more plyable than others..
He said its almost twice as thick as whats on our house. I will check thickness.

Well that isn't close to twice.

House 0.038
Garage 0.045

Sound right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts