Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are parting out 16 square cab trucks. posted a ad on Facebook Marketplace. And I keep getting request for a cab with a title and vin. I always state I dond sell cabs with a title & vin. only sell a viable project trucks with titles. And I get folks who try and tell me that its legal. Ive stepped on authorities toes and have been told I neeed to get a dealears license. Im beginning to suspect it might possibly be some law enforcement trying to entrap me. LOL.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Depends on your state regs, but if you have the cab and title, I see no reason why you can’t sell it.....it’s not like you’re selling a vin tag and title.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When they tell me what there doing By asking for a cab in any condition bent rusty stripped as long as it has a clear title & vin that makes me a party. Didn't Boyd get in big trouble for something similar?

·
Pontiac "big block"
9,553 Posts
People swap cabs all the time, especially up here in the north where rust absolutely destroys old trucks.

Nothing illegal about selling a cab with a title.

·
LS Powah!
11,018 Posts
Sounds like you need to find out what the law says regarding cab swaps BEFORE selling these trucks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother in law bought a truck in Arkansas that had a cab swap. moved to Oklahoma and took the truck to a car auction. wanted to sell it . Had it several years and title and license in his name. On inspection the vin on the cab did not match the vin on the frame. And The Oklahoma state police where notified. That truck was impounded and a vin search of the frame vin showed a bank lien. He lost that truck would of had to pay that lien , towing and storage and go thru a legal process to get a clear title.

·
Smuck
6,672 Posts
I sell cabs all the time with or without vin and title.
Sold a 1993 Chevy cab to a guy this weekend who was fixing one a tree fell on.

·
Smuck
6,672 Posts
My brother in law bought a truck in Arkansas that had a cab swap. moved to Oklahoma and took the truck to a car auction. wanted to sell it . Had it several years and title and license in his name. On inspection the vin on the cab did not match the vin on the frame. And The Oklahoma state police where notified. That truck was impounded and a vin search of the frame vin showed a bank lien. He lost that truck would of had to pay that lien , towing and storage and go thru a legal process to get a clear title.
He should have done his due diligence, never assume.

Oh and Connecticut doesn't issue titles for vehicles 25 years or older, what a nightmare when trying to sell to an out of state party.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sounds like you need to find out what the law says regarding cab swaps BEFORE selling these trucks.
Exactly. My brother was just threatened with a felony by the county police inspecting his salvage rebuild project because I moved the emissions sticker from the wrecked hood onto the new hood of a salvage Cruze we are rebuilding for his son’s first car. There’s only the sequential build number on the sticker not even the whole VIN. He said it was rebranding. Ultimately, they let him peel the sticker off and signed his paperwork, but right or wrong a dickhead cop can make a simple situation stressful.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We are parting out 16 square cab trucks. posted a ad on Facebook Marketplace. And I keep getting request for a cab with a title and vin. I always state I dond sell cabs with a title & vin. only sell a viable project trucks with titles. And I get folks who try and tell me that its legal. Ive stepped on authorities toes and have been told I neeed to get a dealears license. Im beginning to suspect it might possibly be some law enforcement trying to entrap me. LOL.
What are you getting for re-buildable 2wd short beds?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In Arkansas If you assemble a vehicle from parts. You need a receipt for all the major componets. And a state police must come and verify the engine number and all vin numbers ect. Then you apply for a builders title the revenue office will check for liens and stolen parts etc. If everything checks out they issue you a new title and vin. If you assemble it this year it will be a 2020 vehicle. You make a aluminum plate and stamp that vin on it and fasten it to your vehicles frame. Same process if you build a trailer. My eldest son is a Lawyer. He can get a title for about anything if there are no liens or other encumberances. He must advertise in the newspapers and petition the court to quiet title.

·
LS Powah!
11,018 Posts
Assuming everything is on the up and up, how does this work with registration, title ect when the cab has a different VIN? Which VIN is used, the original or new one on the cab? Is it legal to put the old VIN on the new cab?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I think frame vin is the legal vin to the truck from my understanding. So a cab and title will not be any good. Check the laws. If he wants a good title he would need to make sure of this.

·
LS Powah!
11,018 Posts
In Arkansas If you assemble a vehicle from parts. You need a receipt for all the major componets. And a state police must come and verify the engine number and all vin numbers ect. Then you apply for a builders title the revenue office will check for liens and stolen parts etc. If everything checks out they issue you a new title and vin. If you assemble it this year it will be a 2020 vehicle. You make a aluminum plate and stamp that vin on it and fasten it to your vehicles frame. Same process if you build a trailer. My eldest son is a Lawyer. He can get a title for about anything if there are no liens or other encumberances. He must advertise in the newspapers and petition the court to quiet title.
So neither VIN is used? Interesting. Their considering it a newer year sounds like a clusterfuck though.

·
LS Powah!
11,018 Posts
I think frame vin is the legal vin to the truck from my understanding. So a cab and title will not be any good. Check the laws. If he wants a good title he would need to make sure of this.
That's assuming it has the original frame. There are lots of Toyota trucks with replacement frames and the new frames don't have the VIN on them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are you getting for re-buildable 2wd short beds?
already sold all the short bed trucks we had. only got a GMC jimmy that plenty short. We have some mostly complete project trucks missing engine and trans starting at $500 for a 2 wheel drive and $750 for a 4 wheel drive.

·
LS Powah!
11,018 Posts
Exactly. My brother was just threatened with a felony by the county police inspecting his salvage rebuild project because I moved the emissions sticker from the wrecked hood onto the new hood of a salvage Cruze we are rebuilding for his son’s first car. There’s only the sequential build number on the sticker not even the whole VIN. He said it was rebranding. Ultimately, they let him peel the sticker off and signed his paperwork, but right or wrong a dickhead cop can make a simple situation stressful.
Hoods get replaced all the time. WTF!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I do the same I remove the vin from the cab . I have one for sale at present 100% solid rust free 86 GMC cab. I once drove a 65 ford mustang. The drivers door had been replaced no vin on door. In the glove box there was a 4 inch square that had been cut from that original door with the vin plate attached. Back then Arkansas had vehicle inspection. And the guy at the inspection station called the cops. A state police showed up. got out a book and then went and located the hidden vins. Said everything was ok. Always went to that same inspection station after that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts