Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming to the History Channel November 8th. I've always been fascinated by the war so to get to see something like this is going to be something to remember. The battles, the politics, the people. Everything. WW II is covered so much but Nam is next to impossible to find any good, in depth documentaries on. About 10 years ago History had a 5 night miniseries about Vietnam from beginning to end but that was about the last time I have ever seen something in depth. Thought I would pass this on to the Bullet in case there's any others that find it to be a very unique time in history.

http://www.history.com/shows/vietnam-in-hd

·
Head Phuckstick
18,686 Posts
I'll be setting the DVR!

Shannon

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.

"You know the real meaning of PEACE only if you have been through the war"

I am a Viet Nam vet.
Check out this video.
http://www.v-prod.com/trailer_vietnam.html
That became hard to watch toward the end but thank you for both your service and for sharing that video.

I just realized that it's only a 3 night event which, IMO, kinda sucks. How are they going to cram so much into only 3 nights? Yeah, they can do 2-3 hours each night but it would bring so much more to light if they spanned it over 5 days.
http://www.history.com/shows/vietnam-in-hd/videos/playlists/web-exclusives#vietnam-in-hd-preview

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Want to know about Vietnam?
Stick you head in a foul smelling garbage can for a hot year and have somone shoot at you once in a while.

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
That became hard to watch toward the end but thank you for both your service and for sharing that video.

I just realized that it's only a 3 night event which, IMO, kinda sucks. How are they going to cram so much into only 3 nights? Yeah, they can do 2-3 hours each night but it would bring so much more to light if they spanned it over 5 days.
http://www.history.com/shows/vietnam-in-hd/videos/playlists/web-exclusives#vietnam-in-hd-preview
Thank You for the complement EB. Nobody can really explain Viet Nam you really had to be there to understand.This post was on my unit web site and shows some of the horrors of war.

Comments:March 5,2009
472 Mildred Lane
Glen Mills,Pa.19342
Dear Sir,
I am writing you to see if you can help me in any way. My son's Dad was killed in Vietnam in 1967 and my son was 3 when his Dad passed and doesn't remember what he looked like, so I am tying to find someone who might have been with him in basic training or in Vietnam who might have a photo of him. I have tried so many different things over the years and never had any luck and I don't want to give up for somewhere there has to be someone who knew him or someone that has a yearbook from basic training or a photo from Vietnam. Here is the information I have as to where he was.
Name: David C. Stanley U. S. Army
Basic Training: Fort Jackson Oct 66, finished Dec.2, l966, he was in Company C, 2 Bn.
He went to Vietnam March 28,1967. Co B, 2d In, 1st Inf Div, was killed Sept 14, 1967 he was in South Vietnam Binh Duong, was killed by Hostile fire, a ground casualty.
If you can anyway help me to find someone it would mean a lot to my son and to me.
Here is my email address[email protected] or you can write me to the address above. I thought maybe the Vietnam veterans assoc. could be of help. I have gone on to many things on the internet and have had no luck. I would appreciate anything you could do for me.
Sincerely,
Sue Cooper

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You for the complement EB. Nobody can really explain Viet Nam you really had to be there to understand.This post was on my unit web site and shows some of the horrors of war.

Comments:March 5,2009
472 Mildred Lane
Glen Mills,Pa.19342
Dear Sir,
I am writing you to see if you can help me in any way. My son's Dad was killed in Vietnam in 1967 and my son was 3 when his Dad passed and doesn't remember what he looked like, so I am tying to find someone who might have been with him in basic training or in Vietnam who might have a photo of him. I have tried so many different things over the years and never had any luck and I don't want to give up for somewhere there has to be someone who knew him or someone that has a yearbook from basic training or a photo from Vietnam. Here is the information I have as to where he was.
Name: David C. Stanley U. S. Army
Basic Training: Fort Jackson Oct 66, finished Dec.2, l966, he was in Company C, 2 Bn.
He went to Vietnam March 28,1967. Co B, 2d In, 1st Inf Div, was killed Sept 14, 1967 he was in South Vietnam Binh Duong, was killed by Hostile fire, a ground casualty.
If you can anyway help me to find someone it would mean a lot to my son and to me.
Here is my email address[email protected] or you can write me to the address above. I thought maybe the Vietnam veterans assoc. could be of help. I have gone on to many things on the internet and have had no luck. I would appreciate anything you could do for me.
Sincerely,
Sue Cooper
That's a stunning read even in how short it is. And the person who wrote that apparently lives about 90mins from. Do you know if she ever had any luck in her search?

Something I think everyone should have to do at least once in their life is see the Memorial. I've never been to it but I most definitely want to see the real deal at least once. I've been to the scale replica when it came local a few years and even then it's breathtaking. You have to stand so far back to see it from end to end and then you have to get so close to read each name. I was near speechless the whole time I was looking at it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I for one won't watch brings up too many memories that I try to suppress and forget but the only time I will really forget is when they put me in the ground. just hope they don't just broadcast the bull shit but they don't know all that really happened there just what was reported. As someone said you had to be there to understand.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I was in the original long playing version, don't need to see 'History Channel' B.S.
I'd rather watch paint dry and not have my sleep bothered anymore........

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I was in the original long playing version, don't need to see 'History Channel' B.S.
I'd rather watch paint dry and not have my sleep bothered anymore........
Thank you sir, and welcome home. You didnt hear that enough.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
My dad was in the the Air Force back in the early 60's. When he got out he took a job with a civilian company that did missile radar research. That company later went on to become Texas Instruments. In 1969 we moved to southeast Asia. Singapore to be exact. I was 4 years old when we left the States. We came back in 1972.

Back then I knew how close we were to the war. I will always remember lying in the floor of our home watching the daily news broadcasts over there on our black and white console tv made by Philco. Walter Chronkite would be at one base or another or he would be in the bush near the front lines reporting the days events. I remember many other reporters' faces too. I remember the daily casualty counts for each side. I remember the fear in my mothers face when my dad would go to work and we wouldn't see him for a week or two. Much of my early childhood memories center around those times. I could go on and on with stories of being over there as a young child in those times.

We would vacation in the Phillipines a few times each year when we were over there. My family would be in bungalos or cabins right next to the guys who were there taking a break from the war itself. Dad's good friends were all active Military as were his brothers and one of mom's brother in laws on her side. We actually had some family over there as well. It was an interesting time and place for a little boy and his 2 sisters.

I remember those times very well.

g

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
That's a stunning read even in how short it is. And the person who wrote that apparently lives about 90mins from. Do you know if she ever had any luck in her search?

Something I think everyone should have to do at least once in their life is see the Memorial. I've never been to it but I most definitely want to see the real deal at least once. I've been to the scale replica when it came local a few years and even then it's breathtaking. You have to stand so far back to see it from end to end and then you have to get so close to read each name. I was near speechless the whole time I was looking at it.

There were no reply's to her post EB. In the service your really just close to the guys in your squad which is usually about a dozen guys and there are many times when entire squads are lost.

Here is another post that I found on our unit website.

2/19/2010 10:00:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Comments: My name is Doug ("Doc") Haney and I served as a Sr. Combat Medic with the 1st/61st 5th Mechanized Infantry attached to Co-A, February 1968-September 1969. I am searching for three other Combat Medics: 1) Sp.5/E-5 Billy ("Doc") Scarborough, Sp.5/E-5 Philip ("Doc") White, and Sp.5/E-5 Ted ("Doc") Spring. As a mechanized unit, we traveled throughout I Corps, attached to A- Co., out of Capt. (Doctor) Bernard F. Masters, Battalion Surgeon’s D-Co., to locations including: Khe Sanh (battle of 28 April 1969), Ashau Valley, LZ Nancy (ambush 19 June 1969) DMZ, Qua Viet 3 rd Marine Base (July 69), Bay of Tonkin. I want to see if Doc White ever received his Bronze Star w/V. If not, he really needs to contact me as I am being considered for mine after 41 years and he needs to be getting his also for the incredible job and high levels of personal risk in saving and protecting the 32 soldiers we cared for during the Khe Sanh battle and brought back home. That night was pure hell, and we came extremely close to being KIA statistics for our efforts, We were instructed by the CO that we were to get said medals, and Doc Scarborough did receive his incredibly deserved Silver Star medal. Anyone who served with1/61st Co. A, who remembers this event and the Ambush that took out three of our APCs (including my Medical APC), I would deeply appreciate your contact as well, as I have recently discovered that in addition to being blown off that APC and suffering a purforated eardrum, that I also suffered fractures to the right collarbone and left wrist that I never realized as with time the pain subsided. Our motto back then was that "Medics never leave the field but through a body bag." Thank you all who served and are serving today, and a huge thank you to all the guys in our unit who did their best to bring your medics home, and especially the Pilot who flew in with "Puff The Magic Dragon" that fateful day in Khe Sanh on 28 April 1969. You are my hero, and I have never forgotten you or your courage whoever you are. The "Wall" lists 2096 Medics and Corpsmen.
Former U.S. Army Sp.5/E-5 Doug "Doc" Haney Email [email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I for one won't watch brings up too many memories that I try to suppress and forget but the only time I will really forget is when they put me in the ground. just hope they don't just broadcast the bull shit but they don't know all that really happened there just what was reported. As someone said you had to be there to understand.
X2 The war they would not let us win. We couldn't bomb there, or here, couldn't do this or that. The VC had no rules. 58,000 plus kids killed for nothing, we pulled out and gave it to them. Our distrust of the government, politics, and all the other feelings that go with this war will only be gone when we are all dead and there is no one that was there to remember.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My father served 3 tours over in Vietnam, in the last 30 years I think he has spent less than 10 minutes talking about it. I am looking forward to watching this documentary...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The US Navy will participating in Joint Naval Exercises soon. I was jaw dropped when I read this the other day. Apparently China is pushing down on Vietnam. I saw the commercial for the History Channels show on Vietnam the other day and it looks good.
Peace,
BobH

1 - 20 of 80 Posts