Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago we did some vibe testing on a VIPER moon rover wheel and drive system I helped design. For the most part, it did fine, although there was a bit of a spoke loosening issue with one spoke and an interference issue at the highest Hz. The wheels are designed for 60 G; the test unit saw a crap load for sure...

Vibe video is here, too, but you have to click on the link. Let me know if you can't see it. A little bit violent, no...?

Video here >>> VIPER Wheel Vibe - Racer997

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
83,574 Posts
Spokes ftw

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Will these fit on my Box Chevy? Need some 36s.
Thats pretty cool. Do you have to have a clearance to work on any of this equipment??

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will these fit on my Box Chevy? Need some 36s.
Thats pretty cool. Do you have to have a clearance to work on any of this equipment??
A set of wheels would cost you a pretty penny, but hey, they would be exclusive as hell...! :LOL:

No clearance needed for this stuff; it's typical NASA stuff. Here is more VIPER information >>> VIPER

·
Registered
70 Posts
A couple weeks ago we did some vibe testing on a VIPER moon rover wheel and drive system I helped design. For the most part, it did fine, although there was a bit of a spoke loosening issue with one spoke and an interference issue at the highest Hz. The wheels are designed for 60 G; the test unit saw a crap load for sure...

Vibe video is here, too, but you have to click on the link. Let me know if you can't see it. A little bit violent, no...?

Video here >>> VIPER Wheel Vibe - Racer997

I find your work posts extremely interesting - please keep them coming!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
We have some massive shaker tables at our HQ. I’ll have to take some photos next time I’m there if they’ll allow it.

Engineering is what I started in when I went to college. Some days I sure wish I would have finished.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sharing this stuff. What alloy are the spokes and why not use carbon fiber?
Nothing fancy, just 304 CRES. CF is cost prohibitive, especially with threaded nipples. Ti was a better option than CF, but it, too, was a small fortune for next to no delta in performance and weight...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Not sure I have ever heard the words cost prohibitive and NASA in the same sentence, but thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure I have ever heard the words cost prohibitive and NASA in the same sentence, but thanks for the answer.
Someone gets paid to veto the coolest parts and materials. There’s a lot of the money right there…;)

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I’ll have to check out the video later but cool pics. What type of FOS do you shoot for? I was surprised but also makes sense when I heard that some of the rocket components are only 10% above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts