Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I know I have put this off too long and am in my last days if I don't get extreme care in the next few days. I understand. I am very scared. Yes I have now gone beyond being scared to go for the treatments and surgeries to even being scared to not go and cope like I have been doing. Eiter way I am scared.

Any Vets have any real experiences of being inside as a patient, like in prison?

Will I have any say so or choices or do I have to take what they think best?

If I tell them I don't want any holes cut into my throat, from outside will they do it anyway?

Are attendents or nurses all men or women, or both?

Are the surgeons for speciality tricky work supposed to be good?

If I have to have several different surgeries will they do all at same time or one at a time?

Does VA also do dental problems if I get through the rest of it?

Can a Patient use a cel-phone and charge it in a wall charger there? I mean, is it permissable?

If yes' Can I keep my phone with me all time? (Security from theft) That is when I get to where I can talk on it. (Hope)

Any chance I can get them to put me to sleep before any blood work and IV 's are started? I am terrified to the point of going instantly berserk and with incredible strength when anyone tries to put steel in me. Maybe now as weak as I am that burst of strength will not happen.

Does anyone know for sure what I can expect?

Is there TV in the rooms?

I guess a bunch of people are in same room?

Last time I was in Hospital for me it was a Military Hospital in Ben Hoi S. Vietnam. Is this going to be like a military Hospital in the VA?

I imagine I take some new clean undershorts, and socks, maybe a few T-Shirts (?) House Slippers (?) Personal care items such as Deodrants, etc (?)

I am serious this is no joke,
Ed

·
The Purple Prostitute
2,529 Posts
Ok guys I know I have put this off too long and am in my last days if I don't get extreme care in the next few days. I understand. I am very scared. Yes I have now gone beyond being scared to go for the treatments and surgeries to even being scared to not go and cope like I have been doing. Eiter way I am scared.

Any Vets have any real experiences of being inside as a patient, like in prison?

If I tell them I don't want any holes cut into my throat, from outside will they do it anyway?

If I have to have several different surgeries will they do all at same time or one at a time?

Can a Patient use a cel-phone and charge it in a wall charger there? I mean, is it permissable?

If yes' Can I keep my phone with me all time? (Security from theft) That is when I get to where I can talk on it. (Hope)

Any chance I can get them to put me to sleep before any blood work and IV 's are started? I am terrified to the point of going instantly berserk and with incredible strength when anyone tries to put steel in me. Maybe now as weak as I am that burst of strength will not happen.

Last time I was in Hospital for me it was a Military Hospital in Ben Hoi S. Vietnam. Is this going to be like a military Hospital in the VA?

I imagine I take some new clean undershorts, and socks, maybe a few T-Shirts (?) House Slippers (?) Personal care items such as Deodrants, etc (?)

Ed

while i havent been in there personally, i have heard they take excellent care and they are GREAT hospitals

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Ed

Ed as i have worked in many hosptials in australia not the us- i will tell u what i know

what i can really comment is about the different operations-if they operate on someone's heart for example and they find a vascular problem-the heart team wont touch it-they will get the vascular team to do it-

kind of a engine builder wont touch a auto trans-if u know what i mean-

but in the cases i have seen they also have a time frame per opertation-something to do with the recoverey process and not being under the drugs for too long-

i am only commenting on my australian exprienced as i worked in the operating rooms for over 5 years-

Dont stress to much ed-u fall asleep within a click of your finger-

Hope all goes well ed-

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Ed - I am pretty sure that for Vietnam vet’s they have a special rooms for you. In the morning they are scented with napalm and the sprinkler system intermittingly provides a pleasant jungle atmosphere throughout the day. Extra OD green socks are provided to prevent jungle rot.

Short Vietnamese men deliver fresh elephant leaves and wait a minute vines in a fresh bouquet every morning with a bowl of rice and fish sauce and bamboo chutes for your breakfast. Shortly after your morning meal they will play loud burst of incoming mortar rounds and 50 cal bursts to scare the living fuck out of you over the PA system to insure your listening comfort.

Additional short Vietnamese people will visit you from time to time the have long rectal probes that they refer to as thermometers and will ask you questions in Vietnamese. I would suggest that you reply with only your name rank a service number. They will stick a number of electrical wires on your body and inform you they are monitoring your condition. Don’t be alarmed they are only for effect as you will not experience any shock.

For no apparent reason during the day the Vietnamese people will cream "incoming" to keep you alert and to check for a increase in heartbeat.

Anyway…. I think you will find the Veterans hospitals not much different from all the civilians hospitals with all the comforts of home. Many of the surgeons these days double between the VA
and the regular hospitals. I think you will be surprised.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have several friends who use the VA services and they have received great care. One friend switched from one hospital to another because he didn't like the first place. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the care you get. Mike and Donnie both had very serious Agent Orange problems but their only complaint was having to drive an hour to get there. Hope you have a good experience too. RM

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Ed

Just funning - All jokes asid I have heard the horror stories over the years.

Like you I just recently after all these years are using the services given to us.

There may be some less than perferable VA facilities out there, but so far the experiences I have had have been more than ecceptable. They have't scared me yet. And I doubt they will you either

Good luck

BTW - I just visited and I may have Alzheimer’s, but at least I don't have Alzheimer’s

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Ed,
I can only speak to the care I received growing up, it was all excellent (but being a kid could have had something to do it) and from my limited experiences those were the best doctors I have ever dealt with. A couple of them, when it came to giving blood, I was just about like you, I would go off the chart so to speak, took their time and worked me, when the needle would go in I never felt it. I am sure like regular hospitals some are better then others. Take care and best wishes, keep us updated if you can.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ed,

I'm not sure about Texas VA hospitals, but the VA hospital in Birmingham, Al is a very nice hospital, great staff, very clean and orderly. Not what I expected at all. I had heard horror stories about the VA, but found they were not true, at least not in Birmingham.

I believe the VA has taken great strides and gone to great lengths to improve it's image. You should be fine. The VA here is almopst a duplicate of UAB Medical center, which is one of the top hospitals in the nation.

Good Luck! I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Wow Ed, Its a shame you put off medical care for so long with this misconception in mind. But I can sort of relate. It's a guy thing! I work in hospitals and have spent some time in the V.A. in Ann Arbor in the past and it is a modern well run facility. Most of my work was in ICU areas amd the nursing and equipment seemed at least on par with the better hospitals I go to. You will probably be treated better there because you are a veteran than you would be treated elsewhere. Hope this helps now get going!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Ed they are like Army hospitals. You hear the stories but I have never had a problem. I have never spent the night. My wife has on several occasions on Ft Knox. She had great care.

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
My dad is 80 years old and has been getting treated at the VA hospital in Gainesville for years, even spent a few days up there after some surgery. The care he received was excellent and the doctors and staff were caring and professional. It's the bureaucratic Red Tape that makes going to a VA hospital so frustrating and scary. My father has had to jump thru hoops and knock down doors to receive treatment for numerous things but don't be afraid of the care you receive.

·
Another Nobody
11,807 Posts
My uncle works at The VA in the Phoenix area, He is a semi retired radiologist, He retired as the head of radiology in a big Chicago hospital. The VA he works at has all the best equipment and well qualified doctors and nurses, Patient care is excellent. The only issue he has with the place is the Gov't redtape required to buy new equiment and stuff. sometimes it takes forever to get stuff approved, then it gets bought and delivered and then they get quotes for instalation LOL. I'm sure if you explain things to your doctor and attendants they will do as you want. I'm sure they will not cut you unless it is required to save your life.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My mom retired from the VA hospital in Nashville a few years ago. She worked there all her life since college. From what she said it was a great facility and the people where treated equally. It is in no way like a prison. Since Vanderbilt hospital was literally next door, there was always top notch doctors coming over from there to work at the VA.

She said the biggest problem was trying to get veterans to come to the VA. She said veterans usually dont want to admit there is a problem and by the time they come in, it is too late in the game. These hospitals where created for you not the general public. If you need treatment, go.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Ed, they should take good care of you. It is not a jail.
You have rights and can ask for whatever you need.

Good luck my friend!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ed, both my father and my brother have been to 3 different Va facilities for things ranging from substance abuse to recieving care after a stroke and all the maintenance following. I would HAVE NO CONCERRNS WHATSOEVER about going to one. I have found that the care, facilites, staff and treatment were as good if not better than what we had found at regular hospitals. The people there are very helpful and will listen to any corcerns you may have. There might be a little more paperwork to start with, but after that it actually goes smoother than a regular hospital. Just be sure that you ask/tell them about any concerns you have and they will address them for you. There is no such thing as a dumb question or a silly concern. I don't like needles either but recently, due to an injury at work I had to have numerous surgeries on my hand and this was the first time I had EVER been put under sedation and I was scared shitless and I am 40 years old and don't like hospitals either but not from bad experiences. I know that it is scary, but tell them your concerns and they will try to help. My sedations for my surgeries went fine and I went to sleep very seemlessly. Also when you are done with your procedures, there is a prescription drug program with dirt cheap co- pays. Hope this helps and get yourself well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Go get the care you need! Do you have a close family member who can go in with you?
If not, maybe a close personal friend for morale support?
If your health is as bad as you say do not delay any more, get in there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts