Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides Long and ebay, does anyone know where to get one new?

The Hurst site doesn't list them anymore. I'm looking for a friend without spending $700 for his BBC/M22 '70 Camaro.

I paid $90 for mine brand new in '94. Still have it. It's the only shifter I will use with my M-22. I love it.

Thanks in advance,

Mistah

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
I saw one laying on the floor in an old speed shop warehouse last year,,,don't know what it fits.

If I get by there I'll see if they still have it and what it fits.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Try UMTRnorth.com in the classifieds. I believe you have to be a member of the sight to view, but its free. Also look on racingjunk.com.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Got a few laying around, usually paid ~$20 at swap meet for them. Nothing to wear out, so used is as good as new.

Hard part is being on the island I suppose? Yup, try the UMTRNorth.com

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
If you do find one that's ragged out, send it to Hurst for a rebuild. I sent mine there... I was embarrassed to send it, it was so bad. It came back looking almost N.O.S. The upright rod for the finger rings was bent, they replaced that, polished the shifter handle, re-did the finish on all the parts, and even sent a new "Hurst" T-Handle... I sent it in with an NOS-T-handle with a push-button on the side of it. That came back in a zip-lock bag.

I also had them rebuild the original Hurst shifter for the Chevy New Process 4spd OD... a totally trans-specific Hurst shifter assembly. Again, $100, and it works like butter.

-Brad

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Nothing in UMTR right now for sale but Tom Hemmington on there comes accross a few so you might try him. There are two different V Gates, one with stops one without stops. Use the one with stops as it's a better built unit. Or step up a few notches and get a Long Inline pistol grip like a few of us UMTR guys have. Nothing else compares!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great responses guys. I will keep the second hand option and the Hurst rebuild service. I have read online about their rebuild service and like Brad had said, there was nothing but good reports about their rebuild service. I will keep that in mind for my unit.

Thanks for posting.

Mistah

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Got a few laying around, usually paid ~$20 at swap meet for them. Nothing to wear out, so used is as good as new.
Battlestar, I generally respect your opinion on this site!...

But seeing this post makes me wonder IF you've actually EVER used a vertical gate shifter!...

Being an automatic guy now, the bad times are behind me, but back in the day, I wore out a few vertical gate shifters and I can tell you, NOTHING sucks more than power shifting from second to third, only to find yourself back in first gear!...

Vertical gates do in fact wear out and the outcome can in fact be catastrophic!... :cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just watched a used one go for 710.00 bucks on ebay!!!! goodluck finding one for 20!!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Eat you heart out fella's. An orginal "Hurst Ram Rod", not the Mr. Gasket copy.

Bought new back in the mid 80's, probably doesn't have 500 miles on it. I tore the orginal shifter boot, so I bought a new one along with a new trim plate and never got around to installing them. They are probably the last ones in existence.

·
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
4,370 Posts
in that giant junk yard for classic cars tim lewis posted

one of his pic's had a vertical gate installed in whatever car he was taking a picture of... so if you are really ambitious you could always go out there and find it...

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
NOTHING sucks more than power shifting from second to third, only to find yourself back in first gear!...
I thought that was from not keeping the first gear syncro in a pro shifted trans. I've only used Liberty stuff though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If Hurst doesn't do them anymore you will have to go with a Long's. I had a V gate on a top loader for years and drove it every day. Loved it. My Fingers kinda crack a little funny now a days. ( maybe the v gate contributed...lol) I keept the one I bought. When I ordered my V gate, I worked for a good size speed shop chain. It took 3 weeks to get the shifter and 6 and 1/2 MONTHS to get the install kit. This was the mid to late 90's. So I believe they were being phazed out even then. The only reason I got it in 6 1/2 months as oposed to 7+ Is The president of sales was flying from one end of the world to another and was dropping it off during transit. If he had not done that they were going to ship it from wherever they made them on the west coast to the east coast then to me in the midwest. It would have taken another 2 weeks. My car waited on that part forever. Keep in mind this was when Mr.Gasket owned Hurst.(it was pretty messed up to deal with them during this time) Sorry to rant the main purpose of me writing this is to convey they were difficult to get 10+ years ago...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts