Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a fuel cell in my car and not sure on vent size. I’ve searched some and haven’t found a whole lot of info. Is a -6 vent enough or should I use -10?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks! I’ve got everything I need to do it in -6. Guess I should order the stuff in -8

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
How big is you fuel pump? That will determine the size you need. I do agree, -8 should be plenty, but if you don't have a killer fuel pump, you can get by with the -6 you already have.

·
T/S 368E
29,081 Posts

If you already have a box full of -6 stuff, just do 2.
As mentioned, all of my cars are -8, very common even with a monster 500+ pump.

·
Registered
708 Posts
unless you are making a shit ton of hp -6 is plenty. I made 800hp on e85 using the factory vent which was slightly smaller than -6.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car makes 1k at the wheels. Not sure on the pump size at the moment can’t remember but 120lb injectors at 80%

·
A Senior Member
3,121 Posts
Reactions: 1Azgerman

·
Registered
330 Posts
Be safe run 2 -6. Pump size and style are what are important to know how much venting. Mechanical need a ton, in tank electric, not so much.

·
T/S 368E
29,081 Posts
I wouldn't put a loop in the vent line. If gas gets in there the loop will work as a trap and wont vent properly. I ran mine up high in the trunk and through the floor with a bulkhead fitting.

Exactly what I did in my no-box car, I didn't want to risk it being blocked.

Reactions: wingnutks

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vent only needs to be big enough to let air into the tank to make up for the amount of fuel the engine uses plus a very small amount for evaporation. The size of the fuel pump makes no difference. You are only trying to let enough air into the tank to make up for the fuel that leaves the tank and doesn’t return. A -6 is more than enough for this application.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Methanol needs a bigger vent than gasoline

The vent only needs to be big enough to let air into the tank to make up for the amount of fuel the engine uses plus a very small amount for evaporation. The size of the fuel pump makes no difference. You are only trying to let enough air into the tank to make up for the fuel that leaves the tank and doesn’t return. A -6 is more than enough for this application.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool. Thanks for all the replies believe I’m gonna do the 6 and ride on.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
-6 is plenty of vent size for just about any application. As was pointed out in a previous post, the function of the vent is to allow sufficient air into the tank/cell to compensate for the volume of fuel being pumped out.

·
Registered
55,144 Posts
Be safe run 2 -6. Pump size and style are what are important to know how much venting. Mechanical need a ton, in tank electric, not so much.
I dont understand this. Its the quantity of flow out of the tank that matters. Why would the style of pump determine that on any given engine?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I dont understand this. Its the quantity of flow out of the tank that matters. Why would the style of pump determine that on any given engine?
Belt driven mechanical pump needs to be gravity fed, known to cavitate when it has to try to pull fuel into it. Also fuel has to travel a few inches to feet to get to the pump itself. An in tank pump has a constant supply right at the inlet amd dont have a problem pulling fuel into it itself.

It's why a mechanical pump has 14, 20 or larger feed hose

1 - 20 of 20 Posts