Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a bbc vega, I am thinking about putting my small block in it. BBC from what i was told is a 427 has merlin heads look like they have been ported soild roller unknown cam specs, motor was set up for N20 and went 5.84 with a 200 shot.
Thinking about swapping in my 434 small block instead to save some weight and the 434 may have a little more power.
Looks like they used the hooker swap kit up front and its got hooker super comps. What do you all think? It will cost me probaly 800 ish bucks to swap in the small block ( oil pan, motor mount kit and headers) you think its worth it or should i leave the Big block in. I have been reading a bit its easier to put in a BBC then a SBC as the headers fit better?
Also anyone seen this car run at the track in texas?
Guy i got it from didn't know much about the motor, Its got a power glide with t brake its been backhafed fogger and plate set up.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah and i dont know anything about the motor thats in it which kinda scares me. The Plate had 200 jets in it and the fogger had 500's. Guy told me the car went 5.30 with the previous owner.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
why change anything until u run it for a while? see what it does...also ive got a friend with a vega and he told me that short wheelbase cars such as a vega are unstable much faster than low 9's...with using formula with your eighth mile converted is roughly 9.11 so i wouldnt change a thing till u see what it does for yourself. g luck

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at one with a small block that weigh'd 2480 minus driver. I dont know what this one weighs probably quite a bit more with a a big block with iron heads.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Be sure to leave the wheeli bars on it. I bought one rolling last year and it had 410's with some 60'' wheelie bars on it. I put a 620 hp 383 i had in it and took it to track it never pulled tires and was crossing line at 5800 rpms. I put some 486 gears in it and pulled them wheelie bar off because i looked stupid with them long bars on it and it not even pulling tire. That was a big mistake, firt pass put that car on the bumper . LOL !!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Don't know about the big block as I have a small one. You can use a stock or regular deep sump oil pan-have to center the steering, take grease zerks out of tie rod ends and plug them, then only a small ding in each side of the pan. I have the Hooker 1 3/4 headers and think they fit ok. 3 pieces each side. As far as the mount kit I started with the trans dapt kit but have switched to a motor plate since. I'd recommend just doing a motor plate with an engine limiter. I also have a mid plate. Front end is 100% stock on my car with no cage bars up there. Wheelie bars are nice if you need them. Had a few bad wheelies but with a tuning you don't need bars. I've been as quick as 1.25 60' with ladder bars and 28 10.5s.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,348 Posts
Put an aluminum LS in it!!!!

An aluminum 5.3 LS in a stock Vega weighs

40 pounds more that the STOCK 4 cylinder!!!!

Light weight is your friend.

I have a '77 that is going to get a LS, full chassis.

It will be my third Vega build, one Pro Gas '71 wagon 2400# SB and TH400,

one street car, sb and glide. Never weighed it.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys i want to go small block maybe i can find someone to trade me my BBC kit and headers for the SBC stuff?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts