Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
And it never was all that great when it was better.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Use Diesel oil on first start up with Napa/Wix Gold oil filter (20 micron) and run to temperature for 20-30 minutes under load driving it around. Drain oil hot and cut open and inspect filter for debris. Change to Wix R race filter (60 micron) if for racing and fill with a dedicated break in oil. Run it 50-100 miles or a few passes at the track. Drain and inspect filter.Then put in a HOT ROD oil with ZDDP included in the oil and another good Wix filter. Just the way I do it and no problems.

Leave the diesel fuel at the store. Any oil you can but at Walmart or regular parts store does not have any ZDDP left in it, thanks to the EPA. DRIVIN Hot Rod oil does.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,798 Posts
Went over everything . Nothing I could see at all .

Heads got checked and new springs also . 170 on the seat 450 open

It just has to be a lifter not staying pumped up . But I know they are getting oil because I see it when priming

The only way to find out I guess is buy a new set of lifters . sounds drastic but not sure theres another way .

Is there a solid lifter that will work with those spring pressures ?
That doesn't seem like enough pressure. Don't forget, when you are running a power adder that produces increased pressure in the intake manifold, that pressure is also acting on the backside of the intake valve and trying to open it. I ran 180lbs on the seat on our 383 SBC which was N/A. Stock GM hydraulic roller lifters.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
That doesn't seem like enough pressure. Don't forget, when you are running a power adder that produces increased pressure in the intake manifold, that pressure is also acting on the backside of the intake valve and trying to open it. I ran 180lbs on the seat on our 383 SBC which was N/A. Stock GM hydraulic roller lifters.
Its what Johnson said to run .
Ran the same on the comp lifters for years.

Thinking about changing lifters but was debating on solids with the cam and pressures I have just to eliminate the lifters as the problem.
Then go with a bigger cam and better springs when I pull the motor again .

But would you put 10 to 12 thou a year on that engine ?

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm going to go through the hot side carefully just to make sure it's not an exhaust leak. That will piss me off it it is .
Because it sounds exactly like a lifter .
I know for a fact there's no leaks on the headers themselves or the remflex gaskets .
I know there is a leak at the waste gate pipe going into the down pipe but that's been on going and doesn't sound like the sound I'm hearing .

But the "lifter noise " does sound louder now than it did before so ..........

It just doesn't sound like a leak .

·
Registered
304 Posts
So it's back together with previous lifters and still making the same noise? Anyway to isolate which cylinder by deactivate cylinder/pull injector connector to see if noise changes?

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So it's back together with previous lifters and still making the same noise? Anyway to isolate which cylinder by deactivate cylinder/pull injector connector to see if noise changes?
I guess thats something I can do . Maybe pull the plug on a coil and a plug wire one at a time and see if the sound changes .

Do you think even if its a lifter , it will change to tone or loudness by doing that ?

You cant really hear it unless its being driven and under load . Cant hear it when just reving it in park .

And it really needs to be in second or third gear . 1st really doesnt put enough load to hear it . It might also just be in a certain rpm range .

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man, this is an interesting noise issue. I would pull injector instead of coil so not to wash out cylinders (unless you know ecu shuts down injector driver when coil error is detected). In the spirit of trying to isolate problem, you'll have to test to see if you can discern a noise difference when a cylinder is disabled. If you have "chassis ears" (piezo sensor and headset), you could try and place on various locations on motor to hone in on location where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in the spokes but I have had a piston skirt noise before in a BBC that sounded like a lifter rattling while under acceleration in third and fourth gear just a thought.

Steve

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Not to throw a wrench in the spokes but I have had a piston skirt noise before in a BBC that sounded like a lifter rattling while under acceleration in third and fourth gear just a thought.

Steve
This noise wasnt there before I changed the lifters , rockers , pushrods , and cam .

But to do that , I have to take the hot side off also .

Thats the only reason an exhaust leak even crosses my mind .

But why doest it get more quiet as it gets hot if it is an exhaust leak ?

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Man, this is an interesting noise issue. I would pull injector instead of coil so not to wash out cylinders (unless you know ecu shuts down injector driver when coil error is detected). In the spirit of trying to isolate problem, you'll have to test to see if you can discern a noise difference when a cylinder is disabled. If you have "chassis ears" (piezo sensor and headset), you could try and place on various locations on motor to hone in on location where the noise is coming from.

The Chassis Ears sounds like it could work . I dont have them , but they look to be a pretty cool thing to have in the tool box .

Honestly have never seen a set personally . Seems weird . Do they work as advertised ?

Wish I knew someone that had them so I could just barrow then . :rolleyes:

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,798 Posts
This noise wasnt there before I changed the lifters , rockers , pushrods , and cam .

But to do that , I have to take the hot side off also .

Thats the only reason an exhaust leak even crosses my mind .

But why doest it get more quiet as it gets hot if it is an exhaust leak ?
Something could be expanding and sealing.
I can't answer the question regarding 10k to 12k a year with springs like I used, we never drove it that much. Shit, I don't even drive ANYTHING that much anymore!
Is this an LS or old-style SBC?
How much boost are you running?
Beg/borrow/steal a smoke machine to check everything for leaks, you will be AMAZED at what you will find with one!

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Something could be expanding and sealing.
I can't answer the question regarding 10k to 12k a year with springs like I used, we never drove it that much. Shit, I don't even drive ANYTHING that much anymore!
Is this an LS or old-style SBC?
How much boost are you running?
Beg/borrow/steal a smoke machine to check everything for leaks, you will be AMAZED at what you will find with one!
No , it doesnt get quieter with heat . Thats why I kinda ruled out the exhaust leak . Its a pretty steady thing no matter how hot it gets .

But again , only under load .

This is a Gen1 sbc . World Motown II block . AFR195 heads . 8.5:1 cr . JE custom pistons . Johnson lifters , Comp Pro magnum chromolly rockers .

15 to 16 psi on the street , 35psi tops at the track . Maybe 1400hp

I do know someone with a smoke machine .

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,798 Posts
No , it doesnt get quieter with heat . Thats why I kinda ruled out the exhaust leak . Its a pretty steady thing no matter how hot it gets .

But again , only under load .

This is a Gen1 sbc . World Motown II block . AFR195 heads . 8.5:1 cr . JE custom pistons . Johnson lifters , Comp Pro magnum chromolly rockers .

15 to 16 psi on the street , 35psi tops at the track . Maybe 1400hp

I do know someone with a smoke machine .
I don't know of anyone running that kind of boost with hydraulic roller lifters, you should check into that.
35psi of boost takes a lot more than 35lbs of seat pressure off that intake valve spring.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I don't know of anyone running that kind of boost with hydraulic roller lifters, you should check into that.
35psi of boost takes a lot more than 35lbs of seat pressure off that intake valve spring.
And to be honest , I havent even ran that on the Johnson lifters . But Im told the offshore guys run them , and thats WOT for a long time not just short burst . Johnson says .......... Max Spring/Loads Seat/Open 185/535

Ive ran that on many many passes with the short travel race lifters from Comp .

It has ran well for many years on this set-up , but thinking about the solid lifters now .

Just have to call comp and ask them if my cam can be used and what spring pressure are recommended .

That way on the next rebuild , I can get more aggressive with a new cam then .

Not sure about how many miles a year or how streetable on a more aggressive set up .

I dont mind checking lash every few months . Thats easy and quick to do .

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,798 Posts
Do you run a pedestal rocker or shaft rockers? I love the shaft rockers! They do make them in steel for long-term abuse which you would want for your street car. Checking lash is no issue as long as your hot side stuff is clear of the covers. I have seen some real abortions made by people and not think about maintenance later.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts