·
A Senior Member
3,101 Posts
Are you running a 100% synthetic oil?

·
A Senior Member
3,101 Posts
OK
I am not sure from where I was told that 100% synthetic could be too slippery for a roller and the wheels can skid. This was from someone in the busniess and not folklor.
We run the Brad Penn 10-40.

Good luck with the motor. Your truck is bad ass.

Reactions: BLUEOVALRACER

·
DamCoonass
14,805 Posts
Dumb thought for the day but...

Are the lifters setting down in the bore enough with the standard base circle to uncover & fully charge the oiling band?

You might be getting enough oil to look like it’s enough but it’s only getting maybe 1/2 of what it needs?

Flail away. Lol

Reactions: 1Azgerman

·
Capri For Sale
12,418 Posts
OK
I am not sure from where I was told that 100% synthetic could be too slippery for a roller and the wheels can skid. This was from someone in the busniess and not folklor.
We run the Brad Penn 10-40.

Good luck with the motor. Your truck is bad ass.

All the old Biker dudes used to think that right up until Harley started using Synthetic in all of their bikes. When you think about it, it does sound kind of ridiculous.

·
A Senior Member
3,101 Posts
All the old Biker dudes used to think that right up until Harley started using Synthetic in all of their bikes. When you think about it, it does sound kind of ridiculous.
Well I am old, but not a biker. LOL
I was hesitant to post that, but it's stuck in my mind for some reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a new cam in , rockers , push rods , and lifters . Hydraulic roller

Got this knock , only under load , and its every other revolution , so i figure it has to be valve train .

Noticed a little chatter marks on the #3 intake valve stem . All the other valve stems have a star pattern , and seems to be universal . Polished the stem and ran it again . No chatter marks , but not a star pattern , like the valve is not spinning

Anyways , heres a pic of the plugs . #3 is the black one .

Can a bad lifter cause this on the plug ? is the valve maybe hanging open ?

Could the cam be ground wrong ?

What could be going on here ?

I have another pair of lifters on the way to replace on #3 . ( easiest thing to try first ) View attachment 89165
Solid roller cam or hyd.roller?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Is number 8 exhaust at the very back of the block if so how does it not ride on a bearing the picture he was talking about looks like a cam bearing surface to the right of the lobe with the bad wear marks?:confused:
No he was right just dug out old SBC cam to look that area is in front of dist drive gear

·
Registered
19,145 Posts
Not sure if in your case, my ex dumb engine builder didnt clearance back side of jesel rocker causing rocker bearing assembly to get destroyed from hitting valve retainer
Had odd sound too

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,826 Posts
No he was right just dug out old SBC cam to look that area is in front of dist drive gear
You can see the gear on the cam on his pic that he posted. Also, that, area in front looks rough machined and not near what you would need for a bearing to ride smoothly.

·
Registered
23,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Comp said theres nothing wrong with that lobe and that odd looking mark might have been on start up .

Cam is coming back on a 1.050 base cir .

No word on the heads yet . Just my luck , the head guy goes on vacation this week ......lol

·
Registered
23,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Went over everything . Nothing I could see at all .

Heads got checked and new springs also . 170 on the seat 450 open

It just has to be a lifter not staying pumped up . But I know they are getting oil because I see it when priming

The only way to find out I guess is buy a new set of lifters . sounds drastic but not sure theres another way .

Is there a solid lifter that will work with those spring pressures ?

41 - 60 of 94 Posts