Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new cam in , rockers , push rods , and lifters . Hydraulic roller

Got this knock , only under load , and its every other revolution , so i figure it has to be valve train .

Noticed a little chatter marks on the #3 intake valve stem . All the other valve stems have a star pattern , and seems to be universal . Polished the stem and ran it again . No chatter marks , but not a star pattern , like the valve is not spinning

Anyways , heres a pic of the plugs . #3 is the black one .

Can a bad lifter cause this on the plug ? is the valve maybe hanging open ?

Could the cam be ground wrong ?

What could be going on here ?

I have another pair of lifters on the way to replace on #3 . ( easiest thing to try first )
20200525_115444.jpg

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another couple things .

It did not make this noise before changing these parts . So kinda ruling out the springs and valves

Only other part added was stud girdles .

Heads were not removed when doing the valve train parts .

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Could the cam be moving more than it should be? Who is the manufacturer of the lifters, are the springs tired?
I hate it when stuff like this starts happening I am sure someone here has dealt with this brother and will have a good tip.

Steve

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stuck valve you'd be getting popping or backfiring. Sounds like a lifter not working right. Valve not opening right can make that cylinder way rich. Get a good look at the cam lobe nose to make sure it is not damaged.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Refresh our (my) memory, lifter link bar failed requiring new parts? I would run dynamic (running) compression on cylinders 1, 3 and 5 to see where it's at. I'd assume #3 is much lower. If already apart, setup dial indicator and check intake and exhaust lift. If possible, have friend rotate motor while you observe valve train or use gopro to capture vid. I suspect you'll find what's up.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes , I had a link bar fail on the last set up after about 18,000 miles .

I can set up the dial indicator and check lift . The engine is still in the truck , but that shouldnt be an issue . Ill just measure it at the end of the push rod

After I get it back together , I can do the dynamic and cranking compression test .

Im hoping its as simple as a bad lifter .

Not sure on why I had the link bar fail before , but the old pushrod lengths were way off . Somehow the old push rods were 7.020 and after doing it RIGHT this time , I came up with 7.065

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could the cam be moving more than it should be? Who is the manufacturer of the lifters, are the springs tired?
I hate it when stuff like this starts happening I am sure someone here has dealt with this brother and will have a good tip.

Steve
Cam end play is .003 , lifters are Johnson Lifters , and the springs were installed two years ago .

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried my best to get the dial indicator on the push rod .

I get .367 on both #1 and #3 intake . Cant say its that accurate but Im trying to get the indicator to ride on the hole in the push rod ..

Lobes look good from what I can see through the valley . Which isnt much on this World Block

lobe lift is .373 on the cam card

Pain in the ass but Im going to try to check the exhaust on #1 and #3 and a few more just for the hell of it .

·
Registered
405 Posts
Lifter is shit or oil feed to the lifter could be blocked. When they bleed down under the valve train pressure they aren’t refilling with oil fast enough so you have low valve lift and then noise because of the lash it creates. Hopefully you are on the right track and the new lifters fix it. Pop that valve spring off too and see if the valve spins and moves freely by hand. Could be something damaged there too. Had one do that on a big block. Valve was galled up in the guide for some reason and would only stick enough to make noise and wouldn’t rotate because the scars from the galling acted like a key way guide.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I just put a new cam in , rockers , push rods , and lifters . Hydraulic roller

Got this knock ,

Knock or a ticking?

only under load , and its every other revolution , so i figure it has to be valve train .

The valve train really does not know about engine load. Just spring pressure load.

FYI, there's 2 oil galleys on either side of the lifter valley that feed the lifters.
If the lifters are too tight in the bore, the lifter galley oil won't/cant feed the lifter.
Check the lifter to bore clearance.

It sounds to me more like piston slap
If an engine goes into detonation, the piston cant shed the heat fast enough, the piston grows, scuffs the skirts.
When the piston cools off, you have scuffed skirts and, piston slap.
Ever seen a piston with black streaks on the skirts?
That's a piston that has swelled up and, scuffed.
In neutral, if you rev it up gently, blip it, does it make the noise??

Noticed a little chatter marks on the #3 intake valve stem . All the other valve stems have a star pattern , and seems to be universal . Polished the stem and ran it again . No chatter marks , but not a star pattern , like the valve is not spinning

Anyways , heres a pic of the plugs . #3 is the black one .

Can a bad lifter cause this on the plug ? is the valve maybe hanging open ?

Could the cam be ground wrong ?

What could be going on here ?

I have another pair of lifters on the way to replace on #3 . ( easiest thing to try first ) View attachment 89165

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a tick . Almost sounds like pre ignition .

Other thing that happened on the new parts install was the cam came on a 1.123 base cir . Not 1.050 like the old cam .

Had to clearance the #2 rod . I ended up with .044 clearance on that lobe .

I dont think its that though , because I would hear that all the time . And the problem seems to be #3 .

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lifter is shit or oil feed to the lifter could be blocked. When they bleed down under the valve train pressure they aren’t refilling with oil fast enough so you have low valve lift and then noise because of the lash it creates. Hopefully you are on the right track and the new lifters fix it. Pop that valve spring off too and see if the valve spins and moves freely by hand. Could be something damaged there too. Had one do that on a big block. Valve was galled up in the guide for some reason and would only stick enough to make noise and wouldn’t rotate because the scars from the galling acted like a key way guide.

Yes , I thought about pulling the spring , but I need to get a spring compressor

1 - 20 of 94 Posts