Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback on possible causes for valve tip pattern showing non-parallel relation to rockers.

Shaft mount setup, solid-bars, BMF-385 heads, and approx 6-7 months use!!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of the tips, 14 of the 16 valves bad, 2 marginal!! Difficult to tell from photo but stems were just freshly ground and the remaining roller tip grooves can be felt with a fingernail!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Looks like the ends weren't ground square. I would be checking for that first. Should be easy to do with a dial indicator.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave: The tops were just ground here, I'm assuming they were supposed to be "square" when first installed?? The heads came in this way for freshen-up, we weren't involved in the inital sale!!

All the wear patterns seem to be in the identical direction when the valves are installed!

drillteamleader: All the tips are hardened for sure. The intake's are 1 piece, the exhaust's are 2 piece welded??

I'm looking to get more info from anyone running this particular brand of heads, the "BMF's", they appear to be "Canfield" castings, but not certain?? Not all that familiar with the "Canfield" brand!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Super Moderator
35,272 Posts
I have not seen that issue with the bmf heads I have used but, I wonder if you could check to make sure the 1 pc stands are actually resting on the pads? The pads are recessed, and it's possible that the bosses are not reaching the recessed pads and bottoming out elsewhere on the casting? Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts