Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi is important for a valve spring to fit nice and firm into the retainer? just changed springs and the new ones i have are slightly larger on the inside diameter by about .050", where as the old spring fitted nice and firm into the retainer, the new springs are a loose fit. the bloke who sold me the springs said it should be fine. i wana run on weekend and dont have time to get a different retainer. they are a steel retainer with 1.550 roller springs bout 220lbs seat 550lbs open. cheers

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
retainer fit is critical in my opinion. I like to have the retainer and the seat almost snap into place. Not a forced fit but very snug. the less movement that spring can do the better.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
retainer fit is critical in my opinion. I like to have the retainer and the seat almost snap into place. Not a forced fit but very snug. the less movement that spring can do the better.

X2!! If the spring is able to move around inside the retainer, the spring will begin eating up the retainer over time.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
What they said ^^^ .050'' of room for the spring to dance is quite a bit. It'd be even worse it they were tit retainers Imo, but not so bad if since you have steel.

·
Registered
23,693 Posts
X2!! If the spring is able to move around inside the retainer, the spring will begin eating up the retainer over time.
X3 When the spring moves around the retainer gets ATE up ALOT. And if the shims under the spring are not 'Hard", they will get ate up really bad too when the spring moves. All that ground up material gets washed down the head to the bottom of the pan. Guess where it goes next??? ( Hint : NO place good ) Dont ask how I know..........

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
This is why you ALWAYS run a locator or cup, then it centers the spring.

If the retainer centers the spring, snug fit as said here, and the springs end is not perfectly flat, it side loads the guide

It is ALWAYS better to locate the spring to the guide at the pocket, even if it means the retainer is .020" smaller than the ID of the inner or outer.

I have seen springs wear out guides where the retainer was a "tighter" fit, and had no locator/cup with a spring that was not perfectly flat

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
if you read what i said i mentiond i like the reatiner and the seat to be snug/snap in fit. not just one of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ran the loose retainers on weekend. but i think i will change them to the ones that fit properly. thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts