Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my questions is what would be the best valve job/angles to have did to my sb2.2 heads. engine is a 358 .818 lift dur @.05 is 264/272. my reason fpr asking is im ab out to take my heads in for new valves 2.18/1.625 and my head guy is going to be (of course ) doing a new vavle job. he is a really good porter i just want to tell him what valve job i need due to he is old school but listens to what people want. thanks and please shot numbers at me thats what he will understand. thanks again

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
they all have their advantages and those same have their own dis advantages..

there is no "JUST PERFECT" angle or set of angles that works in all setups.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Your head guy will have a couple of choices; he can replicate the valve job that is in the heads now, or he can put a different one in. A lot of this type of head, that is bought used, or "freshened", have had a vj put in them that will kill an easy 50hp or so; I have a set of Yates heads that I am trying to resurrect right now that someone has put a funky vj into. In either case, it's up to your head guy to determine what needs to be done, and get-er-done. His path should be guided by what the heads will be used for, how often your budget can stand to freshen them, valve material, etc.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
i like to handroll both the top and bottom angles. never did any back to back testing to know if it is better or worse. not to high-jack but i was wondering about different types of valve jobs and the benefits of each. not talking about angles but more about processes. i still use stones to cut the valve angles and occasionally use a manual carbide to do top angles in some tight situations. i know alot of guys use carbides to cut all the angles and have been for many years now. what in your opinion is the benefit of the carbide over the stone performance wise meaning valve seat concentricity. is there more repeataibility, reduced labor time etc..

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
i like to handroll both the top and bottom angles. never did any back to back testing to know if it is better or worse. not to high-jack but i was wondering about different types of valve jobs and the benefits of each. not talking about angles but more about processes. i still use stones to cut the valve angles and occasionally use a manual carbide to do top angles in some tight situations. i know alot of guys use carbides to cut all the angles and have been for many years now. what in your opinion is the benefit of the carbide over the stone performance wise meaning valve seat concentricity. is there more repeataibility, reduced labor time etc..
Hmmm...I remember one intake port, 640 cfm if the bottom of the last cut was left sharp. Touch it with a roll and make it look good, 40 cfm down the shitter! Who knows? :smt102

1 - 7 of 7 Posts