Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
the tensile strength of the material makes it hard for me to buy that it just broke all by it's self, ..
valve float, . . valve hitting piston, .. something had to influence it I would think.

is it a valve from a manufacturer you trust?, .. I'd call their engineers to have it looked at.

C

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Could have been a valve defect, but typically a failure in that area can be traced to either running an off-set lock to gain more installed height, or a less than optimum retainer/lock design. (or a little of both depending on use and system control)
Under extreme stress, if the retainer/lock design is off slightly, as the retainer flexes, all the load will target the top portion of the lock.

Again, could be a bad valve, but something to look into anyway.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Would be interesting to look at and measure the retainer taper, locks, and stem just to see how the load was spread. If it's an 8 cylinder you may have 7 more chances to figure it out.:p

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I've heard this is a problem with those retainers that are all one piece (split but includes lash cap type top).

What kind of retainers did they run?

Blessings..........Ron

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Could have been a valve defect, but typically a failure in that area can be traced to either running an off-set lock to gain more installed height, or a less than optimum retainer/lock design. (or a little of both depending on use and system control)
Under extreme stress, if the retainer/lock design is off slightly, as the retainer flexes, all the load will target the top portion of the lock.

Again, could be a bad valve, but something to look into anyway.
X 3.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do everything mentioned.

It's a pump gas Big Chief engine. Picture of spring assembly and the retainer/keeper. It has that funny looking bronze looking, bump in it as well..

PS, to avoid the wrong idea of the valve manufacture, it's a 35 year old company I totally trust.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Could also be too high of seat pressure for that particular valve. Ferrea told me no more than 300 seated on their 6000 series valves. Also once the locks are installed doesn't the "collet" action of the lacks hold the on with the taper and not the groove? Seems to me that if the locks didn't fit the valve/retainer properly the valve would take the beating in this area due to the locks hammering the groove. Like said above.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Wow, Are they used retainers??, they look like shit on the bottom........ were they the same company for reatainers and locks??

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Could also be too high of seat pressure for that particular valve. Ferrea told me no more than 300 seated on their 6000 series valves. Also once the locks are installed doesn't the "collet" action of the lacks hold the on with the taper and not the groove? Seems to me that if the locks didn't fit the valve/retainer properly the valve would take the beating in this area due to the locks hammering the groove. Like said above.
Pretty sure Ferrea doesn't make a 6000 series for the Big Chief, and a lack of spring pressure would be more likely to cause this than too much.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts

It's a pump gas Big Chief engine. Picture of spring assembly and the retainer/keeper. It has that funny looking bronze looking, bump in it as well..

PS, to avoid the wrong idea of the valve manufacture, it's a 35 year old company I totally trust.

I'd be looking at the rest to see if there are any tell-tale signs...but we know that sometimes stuff just happens.:smt102
Those retainers do look a little beat up.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
If it makes any difference this is a Speed Week engine.. All USA parts.
Are you sure about that? I thought the only 2 companies actually manufacturing stainless valves for the aftermarket were Basso (Argentina) and Eaton (facility in China). Everyone else buys their forged blanks from them.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
If it makes any difference this is a Speed Week engine.. All USA parts.
Some guys don't get the demands of Bonneville. WOT for a minute is hard on parts...especially that valve train.
You better get after it then...Speed Week is a' comin'! ;)

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Are you sure about that? I thought the only 2 companies actually manufacturing stainless valves for the aftermarket were Basso (Argentina) and Eaton (facility in China). Everyone else buys their forged blanks from them.
I just read your sig and had to chuckle a little...

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wasn't talking about the valves. Talking about springs/locks/retainers.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

Just notice this, are these valves magnetic?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts