Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get the .010" thick valve body gasket paper in sheet form? I need to custom cut a couple of transbrake gaskets, all I can find is thicker stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I would Hutch, but it's an older JW iron 'brake VB with a steel separator plate.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
''And? Our iron VB uses no gaskets with a steel plate. Flat is flat''
ATD, all the iron TH400 'brake VB's I bought from you came with an ali separator plate. I've still got one on the shelf now, ali plate.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know it's what a lot of builders use, I just prefer gaskets - I've never seen one blow out. My personal fave is a lapped case, valvebody, and plate, AND thin gaskets- definitely no crossleaks then.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I have a TCI brake that had paper gaskets in my stuff. Had an issue with trans not going into forward gears once it got hot...Took trans apart several times to look for issues but found none...never separated valve body halves though... Fast forward to last year, had trans apart to get case recert done. Decided to take it all the way apart to clean it thoroughly before putting it back together and replace the seals. Split the valve body in half and found a small chunk of the paper gasket blown out between two passages. Removed the gasket altogether, cleaned the separator plate, cleaned and checked the valve body halves, and reassembled it without a gasket....Has worked perfectly since....that's the only thing I can think of that would have caused the issue, as everything else is fine, and it hasn't happened since....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've fitted dozens of 'brake VB's with gaskets and never had a problem, usually if a manufacturer sends them out with gaskets then I use them - after properly prepping the case,VB and plate. If the VB is sent without gaskets then I don't fit any. All of the ones I've fitted without gaskets have had a soft aluminum seperator plate.
I understand that manufacturers send gaskets with their VB's to accomodate private builders who may not have the ability or equipment to ensure that all surfaces are flat.
Thanks to all for their advice.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have sold many valve bodies that do not include gaskets and continue to do so, and am in agreement with the pros here. However, if certain non mainstream passages in the valve body are being used in areas where the OE design passages did not move line pressure and clamping bolt location is less than optimum there is the real possibility of huge leaks in the circuit w/out the use of gaskets. I found this out firsthand during testing of RPFM valve body with modulator controlled line pressure.

·
from across the pond...
6,926 Posts
I actually did a pressure test between gaskets and no gaskets on a vb with a steel plate on a glide 13 years ago. With a lapped VB both sides but no case lapping it lost 0psi between no gaskets and gaskets. Never used gaskets since on any TB VB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts