Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good site that I can go to so I can look up my guns so I can get a value for insurance coverage? I have everything from a very old black powder rifle owned by my great great grandfather to a small pocket derringer. Shotguns of all calibers, rifles as well and alot of old military issued etc. Thanks. Also should I be cautious in telling my insurance company about all my collection? Dont want to put a "bullseye" on my own back so to speak.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You will probably have a limit that is pretty low. Then you will need to get a special policy for any over that. Make sure you have the serial #'s and pics to show what condition they are in. What you decide to tell them is up to you. I'd speak to your agent informally before you actually sat down and made a list. Unfortunately I've had to make a claim in the past.

·
Registered
42,132 Posts
You need a licensed professional appraisal or they won't bother with it. Just like a classic or antique car. They want proof of what it really is, not what you say it is. If you had receipts for them, that would cover you but inherited or gifted items rule that out obviously.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the info. I already have all the serial numbers and accompanying pictures of them all. I will talk with my insurance agent and see what we can do. It's time for me to update my policy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I did not need any proof of anything except ownership and condition. They then went to value at the time of loss. The value goes up and down just like anything else. You just need to see what your agent says about how they do it with their company.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to see my agent Monday after work to see what my options are. That's the plan anyways. Will report back with what I'm told so if it helps others then great.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Gun coverage on your Homeowners will get expensive, $25-35/ $1000 to schedule it (all Risk). If you don't already go buy a GOOD gun safe.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I pay about $250 year for $20K coverage through USAA so its not that bad. Look on gunbroker for prices.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have a very secluded house on acreage. I also have a garage full of grinders and cutting tools. Any thief with half a brain could cut into any of my safes without alerting any of my neighbors that he wqs ever there. I'll put my faith in insurance over safes. I have one gun valuable enough to be in a safety deposit box. The rest are in safes and any and all of those safes are only deterents to lazy and stupid thieves. I'll put my faith in insurance over thin steel and concrete.

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
6,125 Posts
The harder you can make it for a thief to thieve, the less likely that the thief will put forth the effort to thieve.

If they were going to put in a decent amount of work, they would have a paying job

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
You need a licensed professional appraisal or they won't bother with it. Just like a classic or antique car. They want proof of what it really is, not what you say it is. If you had receipts for them, that would cover you but inherited or gifted items rule that out obviously.

Not true

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I was sent over from a private message so I'll add my little tidbit.
1) telling your agent that you have guns wont put a bullseye on your back
2) As mentioned before, depending on the carrier its usually 10-15 dollars per 1000. (15,000 dollars of coverage x 15 = 225 dollars on top of your normal policy
3) You don't need a professional appraisal
4) Take pictures. Send them to your agent. He will upload them. Receipts, makes models, all emailed over also. (more details the easier the claim will go)
5) I would also suggest an umbrella policy.

If you have any questions I'll stop back in, if not feel free to send a Private Message.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,620 Posts
I have $25k in insurance for my guns and it cost me next to nothing for it. All my safes are bolted-down, though if someone really wants them they will get them. Two dogs and neighbors that live on top of me, I don't see it happening. I have pictures and serial numbers of everything.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
USAA could care less what I am insuring. I have silencers, AOW's , SBR's, antique pistols , SAA's , Lugers etc. If I want to make a change to my policy I go online and do it and insure it for whatever value I want to put on it. I uload pics of what I have, serial numbers, tax stamps etc. Even scopes. Whatever canges I make to the policy make the value and expense go up or down. There is no target on my back.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was sent over from a private message so I'll add my little tidbit.
1) telling your agent that you have guns wont put a bullseye on your back
2) As mentioned before, depending on the carrier its usually 10-15 dollars per 1000. (15,000 dollars of coverage x 15 = 225 dollars on top of your normal policy
3) You don't need a professional appraisal
4) Take pictures. Send them to your agent. He will upload them. Receipts, makes models, all emailed over also. (more details the easier the claim will go)
5) I would also suggest an umbrella policy.

If you have any questions I'll stop back in, if not feel free to send a Private Message.
Thanks for posting B.A. Unfortunately my agent is on vacation so that gives me time to get better and more revealing pics of each and every one of them. Thanks again, i:smt093

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ouch! You arent kidding. I imagine they are worth every penny but I just dont have enough pennies for one of those. Will give me something to work towards. I find it easier to save if I have a goal I can visualize vs saving with no "inspiration" for lack of better words.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts