Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to put a vacuum pump on my 408 does anybody make on that bolts up to 6.0 block if not which on works the best on these motors.

jydavis

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
What someone really needs to do, is make up a vacuum pump that will mount in the a/c bracket location, or a bracket that will bolt to the block there. Have it set up, for a mandrel, or run off the a/c bracket, or even the main crank pulley for people that have nothing but the pump running off the front of the motor.

In alot of cases, that's a great place to put one, it's out of the way of the water pump, and unless it's an FI car with some plumbing there, or a dry sump equipped car (in that case, 1/2 the time people have the vacuum pump on the oil pump itself) there's nothing in that area.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
What someone really needs to do, is make up a vacuum pump that will mount in the a/c bracket location, or a bracket that will bolt to the block there. Have it set up, for a mandrel, or run off the a/c bracket, or even the main crank pulley for people that have nothing but the pump running off the front of the motor.

In alot of cases, that's a great place to put one, it's out of the way of the water pump, and unless it's an FI car with some plumbing there, or a dry sump equipped car (in that case, 1/2 the time people have the vacuum pump on the oil pump itself) there's nothing in that area.
We made one just need someone who will make them for us and not steal our work....

runs off the ac belt with underdrive pully and even the uses the underdrive ac size belt for an asp pully. also bully briggs made us one thats smaller but runns off a ati pully with a v-groove pully in ac location.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
We have done it twice now ....
Ours wasnt as nice as the one Billy Briggs did for us. :rock:
Worked flawless all year to 9500rpm

Damn ! got treed by Shiz.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Cool stuff. Be great if it was a simple part that was something that can be bought.

You guys seem to have it figured out, and should make a kit and market it. I'm sure it would sell.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Star pump that runs off the tensioner. It works with the A/C still in tact. They give you a modified manual tensioner with a 3/4" cog drive on it and the pump mounts to the head.
I'll see if I can get a pic.
This isn't mine but its the same setup

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My GZ Motorsports race pump goes around a pulley bolted on my UD crank pulley. No tensioner but it a V belt, I have only tested it to 7500rpm but I have never had a problem or even had to re-tighten the belt.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Cool stuff. Be great if it was a simple part that was something that can be bought.

You guys seem to have it figured out, and should make a kit and market it. I'm sure it would sell.

We don;t have the time. Ill send you the prototype you make it and send me 1 for every 10 you make... :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I know this is ghetto, but has anyone ever used one of the Corvette electic smog pumps for a vacuum pump on a street car? I have one laying around, but it doesn't seem like it would move enough air...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i tried on of those smob pumps they do not work. i have ordered a gzmotorsports pump ahouls be here neext week

jydavis

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know this is ghetto, but has anyone ever used one of the Corvette electic smog pumps for a vacuum pump on a street car? I have one laying around, but it doesn't seem like it would move enough air...
Thunder Racing used to sell one as a Vac pump but all it does is evac the crank case. It won't seat low tension rings. To actually pull a vacuum you need a good 3 or 4 vein pump.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks for the link, I read the links to the Buick turbo forum that are inside that thread. The guy with the white Regal said he was pulling 4-5" of vacuum, so since it won't cost me hardly anything I may give it a try. He did take the pump apart and removed some foam and maybe some sort of restrictor. They have it set up on a hobbs switch so it only comes on under boost conditions. For a N/A setup I guess you could use a WOT switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts