Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you guys buy a vacuum pump to cure oil leaks and did it
work? I am pushing oil out of the dipstick tube and the distributor. on a pass. I have a cheap evac system that doesnt cut the mustard and I was wondering if a vacuum pump is the answer. The motor only has about 15 passes on it.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
If you have a couple free flowing breathers and you can't keep from puking oil all over the place, and blowing the dipstick out, I would say your ring seal sucks! I do not know what your application is, maybe a big stroke engine w/ a shitty pan turning a bunch or rpm might be trouble keeping the oil in it, but other then that, you should not have a huge amount of blow-by.

If you put a vacuum pump on it, you better build an extra large puke tank, cause you will probably need it.

One other thought, if you have muffs, you may be building pressure in the exhaust system, and causing the crankcase pressure to back up.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I did it for that reason and yes it works, picks up a little power too. I run it on the street all the time, I jus take the pump apart now and again to clean and re-oil it. I was previously running gas, I have full exhaust with quiet mufflers and e-vac kits didnt work, pcv didnt work well, didnt like the idea of just running breathers due to fuel in the oil.

So last year when I switched to E-85 I bought a pump and glad I did, my old engine didnt leak alot of oil and never blew the dipstik out, but a few drips here and there, + fuel in oil bothered me enough to throw a pump on it

Oil stays cleaner, no leaks, I run a regular sized breather tank and it doesnt fill up fast, I drained it maybe 5 times last year and it has never been more than 1/3 full.

My stuff is pretty slow in comparison to most on here, (high 9s) so maybe this isnt the norm???

Do a leakdown check on your engine either way, a vacuum pump with poor ring seal is just a crutch, if the rings check out, I say go for it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
We gas ported the pistons on top and quit blowing oil and dip stick out.
Never blew dip stick out unless we reved it high...and that was all the time:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts