Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting my 413 smallblock to a blower motor over the winter and was wondering if I should plan on using my vacuum pump with the blower?? Thanks, Max

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I do, but a lot of guys don't recommend it. I like not having oil leaks and I think it's worth some power, just hope I never blow a head gasket at the track!

·
Registered
708 Posts
My opinion not worth the hassle you vent your valve covers good to a puke tank all u need

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had one on my N/A engine and since I had one, I installed it on my 540 F2. I also like no LEAKS. If you have it, use it, just don't use a bunch of vacuum on the street. Keep enough vac to keep leaks down.
IMO....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We like ours.... Still pulling vacuum at 43 psi on a 599" ProCharged methanol deal.

Peterson makes and there are others that make one way valves, we run a -16 Peterson valve over to a puke tank in case we ever take out a piston our vacuum pump is also a -16. You also want your puke tank to be able to hold ALL the oil that's in the engine again never know when something bad may happen. We also use this tank for our vacuum pump and vent for the gear drive.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A vacuum pump is about a lot more than addressing leaks under boost. It makes the engine happier and provides better ring seal, in addition to generating more horsepower. One of the best benefits is being able to data-log the vacuum which gives you an indication of engine health.

We run the Moroso Pro Mod vacuum pump on our Procharger 441 along with a 6-stage Dailey Dry sump (we pull one stage out of the Valley as well). It pulls plenty of vacuum even down track.

If you plan on a big blower you'll need a pretty big pump; plus you need to employ some of the tricks mentioned in this thread. We use a vacuum regulator and a one way valve.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,120 Posts
WE RUN ONE....NO ISSUE....ZERO LEAKS....PULLS VAC ALL THE WAY UP...

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
On the check valve, I have run a valve McMaster carries for 4 or 5yrs with zero issues. It is a spring style check valve with a poly body that is chemical resistant and uses Viton seals. It is a hell of a deal at $14.20. Part number: 549K54 which is 3/4" female pipe thread. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts