Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Moroso Vacuum Pump and Breather Tank on my dry sump motor, The deal is after ever run I have about a 1/2 or better of oil in Breather Tank and oil has came up and out of Top causing oil to run doww fire wall, Is this normal do I need a regulator.

·
T/S 368E
29,898 Posts

That's way more than I or my buddies get. You probably need better baffle.
You need to know what you're pulling before you cause a problem and damage something.
Get a gauge 1st, then you will know if you need a regulator.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sounds like you either need a separator tank plumbed between the pump and breather tank or a baffle put in wherever you are pulling your vacuum from. The baffle would surely help. Personally, I have both.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You need one of these...
http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/products/STR.04.12.000

It allows you to regulate how much vacuum you pull.. By letting you regulate a cool outside air bleed, just before the pump.. Instead of letting air pull thru the engine, like other regulators that go in the valve covers..

Those valve cover bleeds promote hot oil mist being sucked in by the pump..

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need one of these...
http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/products/STR.04.12.000

It allows you to regulate how much vacuum you pull.. By letting you regulate a cool outside air bleed, just before the pump.. Instead of letting air pull thru the engine, like other regulators that go in the valve covers..

Those valve cover bleeds promote hot oil mist being sucked in by the pump..
Yes This is what I was thinking of purchasing.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You need a much better baffle. It does not matter where you pull the vac from,the engine does not care.If you have it in the top of the valve cover with no baffle you are just sucking alot of oil out and thats the cause of the mess on the firewall. Putting a reg on it will not solve your prob,only a baffle will.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You have to make it yourself.It's just a flat plate covering the hole(spaced off the cover about.250) in the valve cover so you dont get a direct spray of oil going into the vacum system.You build it so it can suck air from both sides,some people put screens or steel wool type material under them also.

The main thing is NOT to have just a wide open hole that oil can come directly off the rockers and into the vac system.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
When your engine is hot and spinning fast.. The whole inside is a fog of oil mist..

If you are venting the vacuum pump thru a regulator on your engine.. No amount of baffling will help.. I've been there and done that..

I have made extensive, multi-level baffling..With brass mesh in-line after the baffles.. And I STILL got excess oil in my vacuum pump breather tank..

It wasn't until I was advised to go with the inline vent that it all changed.. Now I only get a small amount of oil from the tank after several runs.. And I don't have to change socks over the vent tanks filter.. To keep it from dripping oil..

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When your engine is hot and spinning fast.. The whole inside is a fog of oil mist..

If you are venting the vacuum pump thru a regulator on your engine.. No amount of baffling will help.. I've been there and done that..

I have made extensive, multi-level baffling..With brass mesh in-line after the baffles.. And I STILL got excess oil in my vacuum pump breather tank..

It wasn't until I was advised to go with the inline vent that it all changed.. Now I only get a small amount of oil from the tank after several runs.. And I don't have to change socks over the vent tanks filter.. To keep it from dripping oil..
I have the moroso Valve cover fitting that was showen above, Can you tell me more about in line vent. Is it a moroso part.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got off phone with Reher.Morrison about oil in Vent Tank, and use of in line vent, They asked How much oil I run in my motor ?, I said at least 8 or 9 Remind you I run a Dry Sump. The guy I spoke with thinks I'm running to much oil ?? Went on to say His oil presure low light stays on at a ideal, runs about 6 qts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Reher Morrison has a regulator that fits directly on the vacuum pump that works great. Allows you to set amount of vacuum needed. Also on reply #14 he is showing a special fitting for valve cover also from Reher Morrison. This is what I run and works well. Have you checked the amount of vacuum you are pulling? As far as oil quantity what does the manufacturer of dry sump say?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aviaid Dry Sump said "As far as how much oil they like the oil tank about 60% full at 3000 RPMs" They also said depending on how fast oil drains out of heads could be problem, Aviaid also said they like running line from Valve cover over to Oil Tank and then to Vent Can. WTF? I have a W8 Headed R3 small block you have to run 2 oil drain lines per side down to pan.

·
T/S 368E
29,898 Posts

How does how much oil is sitting in the tank, effect anything??

I run 12 qts in my 16 qt tank.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts