Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it worth the money to install a vaccum pump on your motor with nitrous ? what kind of performance gains have you seen all relpys appreciated

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Yes, you do see performance gains. On my 510" street rod engine, it made 600hp without the pump, added a Star Machine pump and it made 625 on the dyno. It give you much better oil control. Most of the people I know that are hitting with big doses of nitrous run vacuum pumps. We run a 4 vane pump on our 632 race engine that we hit with healthy hits of nitrous.

Give Steve at Star Machine a jingle...he's a real guru on vacuum pumps and a wealth of knowledge...I'm sure he can give you all the info you want and then some.
http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wonder what 25 horses amount to on the strip and has anyone run with and without one and what kind of gains thanks in advance:cool:

·
T/S 368E
33,637 Posts

My 2 cents. 25 HP is nice, but a clean charge is why I want a nice tight engine with 12-15 of vacuum.
N2O & oil in the combustion chamber do not go well together. Worth the money for pump just to help longevity.
Good luck.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts

My 2 cents. 25 HP is nice, but a clean charge is why I want a nice tight engine with 12-15 of vacuum.
N2O & oil in the combustion chamber do not go well together. Worth the money for pump just to help longevity.
Good luck.

Damn right!....even if you don't have gas ported pistons, ring seal is a ton better with a vacuum pump. Especially when you spray 300-400 of giggle gas.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

Good luck.

That is why I have one too.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
We are a deal for Star. They don't have a "kit".
Because many people have most of the parts and only need the pump and a few supporting pieces. We can get you prices if you wouls like or check out.
http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
There is also the NO oil leak advantage to puting on a vacum pump, nos motors build pressure and leak everywhere add the pump and it all goes away, it's a win win other than the money to add it but it will pay for itself in the long run,

·
Registered
858 Posts
Star vacuum pumps has a street duty pump that has a minimum flow loop to keep the pump oiled at low rpm (idle). I currently don't have a vacuum pump, and last weekend I blew out my oil dipstick tube on a 300 hp nitrous pass. It's time to step up and buy a vacuum system.

·
Registered
702 Posts
There is also the NO oil leak advantage to puting on a vacum pump, nos motors build pressure and leak everywhere add the pump and it all goes away, it's a win win other than the money to add it but it will pay for itself in the long run,
X 2!! That's the main reason I installed one on my car.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,959 Posts
I bought all the stuff from Star. They even modified my lower crank pulley and made a nice spacer so I could keep all that stuff in place and use their mandrel. Let me tell you, if you have not seen their mandrel, find someone that has it. Beautiful piece of work. I hope the pump works as good as that mandrel! Should have it all installed in a week or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We run a Moroso 3 vane, still a wet sump engine, 12" and use a Peterson adjustable regulator in the valve cover. Drive it on the street no probs. we saw a difference of 18 hp on the dyno with and without. It's a smaller motor than most of you are talking about though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts