Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when engine is at higher than idle rpm. the vac pump canister filter is misting oil out. is that a sure sign of bad rings?:confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
It has more to do with where you are trying to pull the vacum from. Is this a new vacuum pump install? or was it working fine before and it just started this problem? And the obvious question, did you make sure the canister was empty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am pulling vacuum out of the top of the valve cover. the vac pump was working good before. i empty the canister every time i run th engine.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Do you have a guage so you know you got vacuum inside the motor? If the motor is worn out or wounded or you have a leak the pump will move so much air it can carry oil over to the can. But you won't have any vacuum inside the crankcase either. If you have good vacuum inside the motor and it's pulling oil I think you'll have to work on the hook up point. JMO, RM

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
Mine mists a little bit. Make sure you have a good baffle in the valve cover where the pickup is. If the breather is still oil soaked you can install a oil/air separator inline before the pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes the vac gage is inside the car. the engine will pull 15 inches at wot. it seems to have good vacuum between 5 and 10 inches at idle and cruising. i will check on moving the hook up point. thank you very much!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
My motor has 5 inches at idle and 14 inches down track. I made 10 passes, 3 practice and 7 rounds in 95 degree weather Saturday and when I drained the can I got less than a shotglass of oil out. Position on mine is top front of the DS valve cover and it has a baffle in the cover. RM

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Baffle or no baffle, once vac is there it, should quit pulling air, if it does not, it has a crankcase vacuum leak or you putting comppression in the pan

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
When the rings leak and you reach the setting on the regulator it is moving air so with the pick up in an area where it can see oil it must transfer that. How else could he be seeing all this oil? RM

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
dist gasket leak, end rail leak, pan leak, fuel pump block off, it pulls oil from the leak path. suck on a coke can full of coke (Ido this with a beer) but with no vent it will not let the fluid out. We are talking a larger amout of oil from him than yours......

"i am pulling vacuum out of the top of the valve cover. the vac pump was working good before. i empty the canister every time i run th engine."

Plus it sounds like a new problem, so I would leak it down, and also "smoke test" the motor. I have a smoke tester/maker, shine a light and smoke comes out any spots a leak is

·
1,344 Posts
When the rings leak and you reach the setting on the regulator it is moving air so with the pick up in an area where it can see oil it must transfer that. How else could he be seeing all this oil? RM
I've seen regulators right on the pump inlet before so when it reaches set vacuum limit, it pulls from the atmosphere and right into the pump, not pulling air through the motor. Not sure if this is the right way to do this or not though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts