Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking out loud here. Between the intake and blower case (Roots style, from Dyers) for my new 438 there are two, 1/2" thick aluminum spacers. Essentially, to give the case enough space to clear the dizzy. Aluminum is horrible for heat transfer, not to mention these spacers are pretty massive. I've never seen it done, but why couldn't I take a 1" thick slab of the proper grade phenolic (CE minimum), cut it out to spec, and use that? Basically, it would be the same thing as a phenolic carb spacer. It would reduce heat, and save a bit of weight from the nose. I realize it will have a different thermal expansion rate from aluminum but I can't see an issue since they work so well for carb spacers. Delrin is an option, but the phenolic seems like a better route to me. Just curious what the rest of you thought of the idea.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the concern is crush pressure and boost pressure. It can crack and their is a lot of force from the belt, vibration, pressure pushing it out and the blower up. May shatter

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have thought of doing the same thing also, and would be interested in a 1/4 to 1/2 "thick.One above and below intercooler or a like the blower gasket but cut an o-ring on both sides. Cut this shape would work. Following post!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the blower shops I've talked too have kind of scratched their heads, and said "huh, never seen it done but I can't think why it wouldn't work". Think its worth the experiment. I like the o-ring idea but not sure where I'd find one large enough and right shape. I'll be handing off my aluminum spacer to my buddy with a CNC to play with this weekend. The biggest issue is using the RIGHT grade phenolic. Linen based CE "shouldn't" have the cracking issue as mentioned above (especially with as meaty as the walls will be with this spacer), but its a valid concern. If it works out my buddy can cut one for anybody else that wants to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Moroso had phenolic spacer part # 64930 that was great for carbs. That material would work for sure and if you cut an o-ring groove you could still use a regular gasket if no o-ring. You could use blower gasket as a templete then figure the thickness also, I would be interested for sure in a 1/2" one. Keep me posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will keep you posted. CE is the grade that is typically used for carb spacers. Pretty versatile and comparatively easy to machine. I'd REALLY like to use G10/FR4 because I think its the best grade for this application, but its basically bakelite and super hard too work with. Price isn't too bad for the CE, I can get a slab for the size I need for a little over two benjamins. 1/2" thick is far cheaper.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's great that it can be strong enough. I need to make adapter for my intake to my.heads and that's even better than trying to make it out of alumium. Keep us updated on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts