Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the additional timing removed from each cylinder? I assume that the programmed timing is removed at start up and is not affected by any step retards?

Also, if additional timing is programmed through the ICT function yet the fiber optic cable is not connected to the 7531 will there be any effect?

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
ICT takes affect if the engine is running & the fiber optic cable is inserted. If the MSD doesn't sense the cable then ICT doesn't work. The amount of retard timing for each cylinder is applied in addition to any additional retard timing that is programmed.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike. With my laptop connected, should I expect to see any retard on the retard dial when running with the fiber optic cable connected? In other words, if I have an extra degree programmed out of 4 holes, will I see 4 degrees out on the dial when connected?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks Mike. With my laptop connected, should I expect to see any retard on the retard dial when running with the fiber optic cable connected? In other words, if I have an extra degree programmed out of 4 holes, will I see 4 degrees out on the dial when connected?
Don't think so,
but you should see it here in the 'ICM' section;

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
No you won't, just on the bottom where it shows the ict

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
^^^

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. Just to be safe that my programming is correct, say I have a 4-7 swap BBC firing order, I would program the box as follows:

1 (1)
2 (8)
3 (7)
4 (3)
5 (6)
6 (5)
7 (4)
8 (2)

Now lets say I want to pull 1.5 degrees out of holes 2, 5, and 7. I'd program as follows:

1 (0)
2 (0)
3 (1.5)
4 (0)
5 (0)
6 (1.5)
7 (0)
8 (1.5)

Is this correct? Thanks,

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes, that looks correct. 8)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Yes, that is correct. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Just to verify ....... Pick any plug wire "i.e. cylinder #8" ......which is #2 numerical, put the timing light on your balancer and visually note where it is. Then pull *10 degrees (the more you pull the easier to see) and you will confirm your pulling from the correct hole. Not a bad idea to check all 8. Don't use a "dial" timing light. Also keep the optic wire as short as possible. The less bends the easier it can see the light. Remember..... If you loose your optic light, you may loose your pistons. Been there!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
We try to do our best to "even out" the plugs by jetting changes. If we cannot do that, we use the ICT as a last resort. It is nonetheless a useful way to get all of the plugs looking the same. Good post Ray...thanks.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I understand Mike, but sometimes the heat can be changed in a particular hole without changing the ignition timing, but rather by simply adjusting the jetting & spread. Also, I failed to mention it, but using a colder plug in a hot hole can also solve the issue of too much heat in a hole. Personally, we use the ICT, but some racers do not have ICT.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Mike, we know better...LOL. You got more "gadgets" than Carter has pills...LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts